Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,520 Posts
I am also very happy with the Toyo T1-Rs, and Toyos in general.

Joe

·
Supporting Vendor
4,520 Posts
The original tire size on my '86 Spider is 185/70R14 with a diameter of 24.2 inches. The Toyos have a diameter of 22.4 inches. I would think that 1.8 inches smaller would look worse (although the tires are lighter). It also lowers the gearing of the car.
I was only recommending the Toyo T1-R, not the size used. I use them in the 205/55-15 size, which has a diameter of 23.8 inches - much closer to stock.

In addition to the other negatives mentioned, tires that are that much undersized will put your sump perilously close to the ground.

Joe

·
Supporting Vendor
4,520 Posts
I see your point but I guess it is no more perilous than the guys who put the sport springs on the front that lower the chassis an inch and a half to level the car out a bit.
Yes, it is VERY different than using sport springs. In addition to lowering the ride height, sport springs also increase the spring rate.

Thus, while the sump starts out lower, the springs compress less than stock springs would. Most cars actually bottom out less often after adding sport springs.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.