Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so after about 1000 miles of flogging my newly running milano, i seem to have blown a giant hole in the center of the center muffler. don't get me wrong, it sounds great. well except at idle where it is just plain loud and grumpy. but give it some revs, and it sounds like, well, as my female friend who doesn't really know cars said, "is this what a race car sounds like?" uh, well, only very special italian race cars!

so it looks like the easiest solution is just a bosal OEM replacement off ebay for around $100 but are there any sport options which might be better? or how about just a 2 into 1 pipe with no center muffler at all? my car currently has an ANSA rear muffler and everything else stock including the cat.

just thought i'd see what you guys thought while i wait for it to get louder and raspier. and it even feels slightly faster and smoother at high revs so who knows, maybe i'll just see how long i can get away with the vented center muffler.

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
i would think of a few mufflers, you have ground clearence that the spiders don't+ room.. a hooker aero chamber muffler on my audi quattro, sound and work nice,, it is a welded muffler, not stamped and folded muffler,cost 65-85 $, check it out.. go to holly performance products, aero chamber muffler... hope this helps

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have the ansa center section on mine, it works pretty well. I would think it would be pretty loud without a center muffler.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i found an ANSA center and of course i already have the ansa rear--anyone have both? just curious how it sounds. it seems to me that most of the muffling comes from the center muffler. and perhaps all of the resonating. with the hole it now sounds great and when revved is quite smooth but down low especially when lugging the engine slightly, it's all resonance and car shaking low noise. and when i installed my ansa rear, i started the car up and tried it with no rear muffler but it wasn't much louder at all.

and for those of you with no muffler, how did you do it? since it's 2 pipes in and 1 out, i can just hear the muffler shop quoting some ridiculous price.

i think if money were no object, i would get the centerline or stebro downpipes and run them all the way to the cat which i would place where the center muffler normally goes and then just run a rear muffler. maybe even use a bigger and better flowing cat just for good measure.

hmmmm, nope, can't do it now--too poor!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
another vote for no center muffler.

i run a magnaflow 9x14 Op/Op S/S straight through on the rear, with no cat' or other mufflers, and its not overly loud, and sounds great IMO.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have both, and it sounds much nicer than just the rear (less annoying buzzing than with the stock one), and the engine has noticeably more power. Its about the same quality as the rear section, so if you are happy with that its decent. If you decide to do it I have a extra set of band clamps for the front id sell you (the proper size is only sold as a set of 4).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Bob,

Take a Y-pipe down to your local muffler shop (measure diameters). Tell them to eliminate the muffler, replace with the Y pipe. $50 later you should be fine.

Don't overthink it!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Bob,

Take a Y-pipe down to your local muffler shop (measure diameters). Tell them to eliminate the muffler, replace with the Y pipe. $50 later you should be fine.

Don't overthink it!

ha ha, love the "don't overthink it!"

hmmm, found an ansa center which are pretty rare these days. so it's either go with the ansa or use the y pipe as suggested. the only problem is that with the ansa, i can do it myself. i always hate when i have to outsource anything, especially in LA as everything is way way overpriced and performed by f*cking morons. and overpriced. and did i mention overpriced?

i trust the ansa will sound good but how bout the center delete with the ansa rear? anyone have that exact config?

·
Registered
487 Posts
+1 on that ...

I have both, and it sounds much nicer than just the rear (less annoying buzzing than with the stock one), and the engine has noticeably more power. Its about the same quality as the rear section, so if you are happy with that its decent.
I also have both Ansa bits on the Verde. Sounds devine all through the rev range - the way it was intended to be ...:D

~

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
ha ha, love the "don't overthink it!"

hmmm, found an ansa center which are pretty rare these days. so it's either go with the ansa or use the y pipe as suggested. the only problem is that with the ansa, i can do it myself. i always hate when i have to outsource anything, especially in LA as everything is way way overpriced and performed by f*cking morons. and overpriced. and did i mention overpriced?

i trust the ansa will sound good but how bout the center delete with the ansa rear? anyone have that exact config?
Bob,

The Ansa, Bosal, and Cisam (Alfa) center sections are all constructed internally identically. I have cut apart an original Alfa and an "ansa" that came on different Milano's I've had. There will be NO noticeable sound difference between them.

The fact that the pieces with ANSA stampings on them may be uncommon is of no concern to you or the sound your car will make. They are in fact pretty readily available. There are a few on ebay last I checked.

As a little bit of FYI, the GTV6 center section had a couple of different versions - one resonated (i.e. a muffler!) and one that was just pipes (a Y pipe which is what you're seeking). The straight pipe/non resonated version is more difficult to come by. One of my previous GTV6's had no center muffler (I got an ansa straight pipe center section for very little cash) and sounded phenomenal. No OE Milano pieces were made this way. Check your PM, sending you a couple of links.

I'm sure you can find a shop that will do what you'd like in a couple of hours (if not less) for a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, rob, for the clips. don't have time to check them out right now but definitely will asap.

also, i'll see what a muffler shop here will charge but you guys are gonna be shocked! last time i had a simple remove and replace with a sport exhaust on my scirocco, they charged me $80 which was about a 20 minute job and i would have guessed to pay around $40 max, actually more like $25 or so! no one in this lousy city does you any favors so i just try to do all my maintenance myself.

hmmmm, maybe it's time to buy that welder i've been wanting.....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so the clips all sound pretty good but the first one (which is ANSA rear, no center muffler, and with the cat) is probably the most livable. the outside car clip shows a what seems to be fairly loud car. i do like the ANSA rear but it did have a sort of flat spot down low in the revs where the car sort of didn't sound very nice. and unfortunately, this spot is right where you are in the revs on every shift if you are driving moderately to slightly faster than average which is very common even when you rev thru the 5-6k range on every 1st & 2nd gear like i do! so if the ANSA center eliminates that dead spot, i would be very happy.

then again, a little more volume couldn't hurt either....

basically it will come down to how much the local shop will want to put in a center pipe with no muffler. (i'll bet you guys one very loud milano that the muffler shop will insist on selling me one of their cheap a*s mufflers and will argue strongly about deleting the center muffler. have i mentioned how annoying the people in this city are?)

do you guys think that will have in stock the necessary Y fitting to go from the 2 pipes to one? or how about a longer splice where they cut each smaller pipe in half and then slowly merge them together so it's not such a sudden Y shape? will an average muffler shop be able to do that kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The ansa center section weighs about half what the stock one does, sounds better than the stock one, and the car had alot more power. I dont think you cant get it done cheaper anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ansa center section weighs about half what the stock one does, sounds better than the stock one, and the car had alot more power. I dont think you cant get it done cheaper anywhere else.

yeah, i'm guessing the same thing and while rob said that the ansa & OEM are constructed the same way, i don't think that is true: the oem has 2 pipes into the muffler and one pipe out while the ansa has 2 in and 2 out which then extend quite a ways back before blending together. i would think that would have distinct advantages although not sure. it just looks faster!:)

****, it does sound good right now though! oh, well, it would be tough to live with this way. it does get quite a resonance going down low.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I've never seen a center muffler 2 in 1 out. All of the ones I've seen, worked with, installed merged pipes post muffler/resonator. Have a photo?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never seen a center muffler 2 in 1 out. All of the ones I've seen, worked with, installed merged pipes post muffler/resonator. Have a photo?
ahh, ok, you're right. the OEM one is 2 in and 2 out, but the 2 out almost immediately connect so it almost looks like it's 1 out. i would think the extended length for the blending would be an advantage, but once again i'm just going by common sense and from what i've seen on other exhaust systems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts