Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was washing my Spider today, I had to get into the trunk a few times for rags and other cleaning supplies. The first time, the trunk latch worked fine, but felt a little weird, as if there was no resistance in the latch. Second time? Umm.... the latch just lifted up, but I think the cable snapped. The trunk didn't open... I will be in a world of hurt if I can't get into the trunk soon... any suggestions on how to fix it?

It's a 94 Spider Veloce CE, if that matters... help!

Jamie in Vegas

·
Registered
714 Posts
it depends where it broke, if its at the lever end you might be able to grab it with pliers. is there access thru the rear bulkhead at all?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm lucky, I might be able to lift up the latch and see the end of the cable. I will check that tomorrow.

I don't think there is access through the rear bulkhead, but if there was - is there a way to open the trunk from the inside? I've never been stuck inside a trunk before!

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
If I'm lucky, I might be able to lift up the latch and see the end of the cable. I will check that tomorrow.
I don't think there is access through the rear bulkhead, but if there was - is there a way to open the trunk from the inside? I've never been stuck inside a trunk before!
no, there's no access through the rear bulkhead to the trunk, and if there were, there is a stiff carpet in the way of the latch, so you couldn't even see it.
if the cable broke at the handle, and you can grab it then great!

If it broke somewhere else inside the sheath or at the latch then you have 2 options:
1. There is a 1/2" hole under the boot floor, vertically below the latch, where you can put in a long rod and (working blind) somehow unlatch the trunk (a 2nd person slightly pressing on trunk to relieve pressure helps)...but you are lying on your back blindly poking about with a long screwdriver, trying to hit a small latch .....
Emergency trunk release.jpg

2. (easier) remove rear number plate drill a small hole in a specific place...then insert a screwdriver and unlatch the hood. If in the future it breaks again, use same small emergency hole;) Plug the little hole and refit the number plate.
this is a milano, not a spider, but it gives you an idea:
milano trunk.JPG
instructions and measurements here:
Alfa Romeo Spider Trunk cable broken

now, if you think that is difficult, try unlatching the hood, when that cable breaks there is no way in without damage (and it will break, they all do eventually)
So now is the time to add a 2nd emergency cable to the hood latch.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My Roundtail, has access holes in the rear bulkhead to get to the tops of the shock absorber, they are about 100mm x 80mm. it would be difficult to access the latch from these as the rubber mat blocks the catch. you may be able to slide a flat piece of steel or aluminium between the rubber seal and the trunk lid but not sure you could unlatch it that way

there is also access to the void behind where the lever goes in to the b pillar so if the cable is broken a bit further up you might still be able to grab it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts