Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1977 Spider - 88,000 miles
There is a sympathetic vibration noise (nothing to feel) as the car runs up and down through gears. Rev speed induced and comes in around 3,500 and is louder when rev speeds are higher, or really getting on the accelerator. Sounds almost like static at some stages and did look at one floor well speaker.
Here is what I discovered. If you press fairly hard on the stick, the noise can be reduced or eliminated. But the drive line components are new and aligned properly. Motor mounts are okay. There has been no body damage. Can it be in the transmission?
Any ideas...similar episodes on your Alfas?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
The donut has been replaced as well as the rear trans mount right? How does the clutch feel? If the disc is coming apart it will cause vibration as well as broken pressure plate springs, or fingers. Does it do this in neutral? Have you jacked up the rear end and run it up looking for shakes? Is there a possibility of a bent driveshaft? How about a bent rear wheel? Let us know.
Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
my 74 spider has a vibration from 3500 to about 4000, I think it is a resonance in the exhaust. goes away when I back off to 4th, so driveline is not suspect, only happens at those rpm in any gear.
cliff

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
My 78 spider made a weird buzzing noise that I traced to an after-market shift knob. No sound until 3000 and changed in pitch with revs. Goes away when I press on the knob. Easy to check.
Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gordon: donut is okay, clutch feels okay (time willl tell if things are coming apart), will check the car in neutral as you suggest. Drive shaft and wheels should not have had a chance to be damaged. Thanks!

AlfaCliff: will check my ehaust system and see what might be touching ...should be so simple. Thanks!

Jbutler: will pull the knob off and see, but is an old one (maybe too old)
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts