Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) is hosting the U.S. Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen on September 8th through the 11th. As some of you may know this is the 101st anniversary of Alfa Romeo this year or as I like to call it the Cent-Anni +1.

Sure this years Grand Prix race may be honoring MG's and Datsuns / Nissans but we know better, right?

Driveline and head gaskets willing I will be there with my 72 Berlina and the GTV6. Both cars are still in the middle of a long sorting out process so I will be splitting my time between inside and under the cars. LeMons racing has taken up a lot of the time I should have been using to develop these two cars. But it is lots of fun!

Seriously though this is a great event and a fantastic track.

So what other Alfisti and Alfas are going to the Glen?

Greg

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My guess....

Some of "the usual suspects"???? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
No thanks. Too much money, not enough track time. I'll be there about a month later, though!
Although I agree completely, I'll be there in my '59 Giulietta Spider again. One of my favorite tracks. Having friends out there in turn one every year is great, and all the other downtown activities make for a fun weekend.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Greg,
I'll be there, a shame it conflicts w/VSCDA-RA weekend, that'll split the entry. No entry lists are posted yet for WGI.
Let's try to get the Alfas together in the paddock
See you in September
Wil

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We should be arriviving there Wednesday evening. I am going to be doing the test day on Thursday. Last year was my first time at the Glen and I paddocked in the midst of other transaxle alfas. It was a huge help to be able to help each other out. We were close to the pedestrian tunnel that is between turns 10 and 11. Not a bad spot but the ground is covered with large blue stones which makes it very tough to use a jack and jack stands. I was thinking it would be better to go where there is some good pavement. Other than that it was a good spot, with water and power there.

So if someone has any advice about a good location please chime in. I usually bring a big flagpole that I put up and fly the Italian and Alfa flags so I am easy to spot.

Greg

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
Although I agree completely, I'll be there in my '59 Giulietta Spider again. One of my favorite tracks. Having friends out there in turn one every year is great, and all the other downtown activities make for a fun weekend.
And not one mention of the best pit crew that money can't buy? nyuk, nuyk, nuyk...

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
And not one mention of the best pit crew that money can't buy? nyuk, nuyk, nuyk...
Forgot to mention the crew. Hello, Hello, Hello!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Greg & David,
Just west (toward start-finish) of where you (Greg) were last time, still south of Wedgewood, Joe Colasacco's crew (TZ-1) was on a concrete pad. Mike Besic, Chuck Woodworth, and I were just west of that pad, on grass. I am also trying for Wednesday PM, as group 3 has a qualifying session at 2:50 Thursday afternoon. I fly an Alfa flag as well, with "Go Navy" on the side of the trailer, so I'll head that way and start saving space if I get there first. If y'all are first check out that spot and see if you like it.
I'm camping at the track and will look for power if available.
See you next month, and I still want help from that pit crew.........
Wil

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wil,
Where we camped last year will probably be reserved for the Datsun's and maybe MG's. It's where they put the featured marque each year. We will probably camp at the eastern edge of that section, just outside the garage entrance. Since Group 1 goes on Thursday, as well, we plan to get there on Wednesday mid-day.

Vince,
Glad you're coming. Should be a great weekend.

·
Richard Jemison
8,021 Posts
Usvgp

I`m not going to make it, but I`m sending my representative Gus Fell who is touring Canada and the Northeast while we`re enduring the heat.

I`m sure he will drink any beer or wine you have availabile!

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Alfa entries so far. All Alfas are wonderful, but note the last three, pretty special!

Group 3
Francesco Amato 59 Giulietta 1750cc
Wil Painter 66 GTV 1608cc
Peter Ragonetti 66 Giulia 1750cc
Greg Sefarian 72 Berlina 1962cc
Kristine Lay 88 Spider 1962cc
Tom Ragonetti 69 Duetto 2000cc

Group 8
Bernardo Martinez (MD) 72 Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000cc
Rob & Heidi Mocas 67 Alfa Romeo GTV 1996cc
Greg Seferian 82 Alfa Romeo GTV-6 2549cc
Mathew & Lindsay O'Donnell 70 Alfa Romeo GTA 1985cc

Group 6
Paul Brown 75 Alfa Romeo T33/2
Joe Nastasi 75 Alfa Romeo T33/2 3000cc

Pre War
Peter Giddings 35 Alfa Romeo Tipo C 85-35 3000cc

Wil

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Due to some problems at work and home it looks like I will have to withdraw from this event. I was really looking forward to this.

It would be great to see Dr. Martinez's Vintage Berlina up close. It sounds like a great car and you can count on one hand the number of Alfisti racing the later Berlinas in the US. Not to mention seeing two Tipo 33's in action and all the rest of the Alfas.

So I would ask the participants to take some video and photos if they can and post some links to them on this thread. Have a great time and Buona Fortuna.

Ciao

Greg

·
Registered
521 Posts
They've updated the entry list. Looks like I'm the only Alfa in Group 1 AGAIN. Well, if they combine us with Pre-war like the schedule says, maybe I'll get to run with Peter Giddings in his Tipo C again. What a thrill to run with him last year in the all Alfa race. Our lap times were about the same, but his cars straight line speed and my cars braking and cornering ability made for some interesting racing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just checked the entry list again. 21 Alfas. Still only 1 in group 1. 45 cars in group 1, combined with 15 Pre-War cars, 60 cars on the track! Yikes!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts