Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put in a couple of universal joints and wonder if what I have are correct. The cups have a diameter (avg.) of .9445" +- .0005 and the length of the cross - cup flat to flat (held finger tight) are 2.48 +.005 -0 on all. There are no springs or weights in these as I understand some alfa U-joints have.
I only ask because there seems to be a question about these and the set I put in earlier (sourced locally) seemed a bit 'loose' and I have a vibe (about 55mph) that was not there before!

TIA!
Dave G.
 

·
1966-2013
Joined
·
13,741 Posts
It's not uncommon at all to get the wrong universal from the local over the counter places. In fact it happens all the time.

Thier computer systems don't have the correct information in regard to what size went on what year, plain and simple. (you'll find the same issue with starter motors BTW....)


Source that stuff from actual Alfa parts suppliers. You'll be much happier for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new U-Joints are in now, and the vibration/thumps are gone.
Just for information, the old "bad" (wrong) U-Joints measure (avg.) .938" in cup diameter and 2.410 across the cup flats...quite a bit different than the new ones (.007 dia and .07" width).
The .945" dia. /2.48 width joints are fairly difficult to install, I used an arbor press and it still took better than an hour to get them in correctly, they are (and I suspect should be) a near interference fit.

Cheers!
Dave G.
 

·
1966-2013
Joined
·
13,741 Posts
Did you have any trouble getting the center cross section in?

That's where I ran into issues a couple years back when I did mine. (it really didn't want to go in there even with the caps off and sitting over there ----> on the bench)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, the center sections went in ok, the hardest part on mine was getting the cups into the bores square. Even though the cups had a small chamfer on the inside edge it was very hard to get them square as they first entered the bores, might have been the yokes having a burr, some were easier than others. Turning them as you fit them in, checking for binding, along with some light oil, seems to help.
Made quite a difference! First time this car has had tight,friction free U-Joints in a long time I would bet.

Cheers!
Dave G.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top