Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm selling a terrific and rare NOS Hellebore lightweight / racing wood steering wheel. Appropriate for TZ, TZ2, SZ Zagato etc.

Have a look:

search NOS Hellebore Wheel on ebay

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
the real hellebore wheels script isnt as defined or deep is typically the tell tale.

the problem is NOS now means something entirely different from what it meant 20 years ago. many have taken the liberty ( including porsche themselves) to include new remade parts as NOS which is a massive disappointment to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
2 real TZII wheels. First the later wheel shared with the GTA, second the much rarer TZII Nardi.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I have an Original wheel with a 2 and a 4 on the middle spoke, on the backside, in its original box, riveted to
a carboard pic of a 'Stradale'. What do these numbers mean?

Only difference, is it has 6 holes for the boss, not 7 as per GTA, this is a generic Hellebore, that I suppose
you would buy a hub for the particular model of automobile of your fancy.
My guess, this wheel is from late '60s

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no there isn't a date on the back. But I have never held such a lightweight steering wheel, it's truly something different that way.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
What still puzzles me, are the 3 dowels...
I am also puzzled at the significant misalignment of the drilled holes on one of the spokes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again. It's been ~20 years since my conversation with Mark Wallach, after your helpful observations and my best recollection:

Given the source and the unusual features, I believe this is an unused "corse" wheel from the batch supplied to Autodelta for actual race use in TZ2's. It's not a retail item or "stradale." The dowels make sense given the use of ultralight wood construction to ensure adequate strength at the joints. This wheel weighs 13 ounces. By comparison, my NOS 90's Nardi Classico 360mm wheel weighs 22.7 ounces. I will post pictures.

I'll re-list the auction on a 7-day with no reserve, and try to track down any documentation I had from Mark. I am aware that there are fakes out there, and it is absolutely not my intention to defraud anyone. I have owned and restored five Alfa Romeos, previously posted as Straight8/2 (I couldn't find my password etc). If anyone knows more than this, happy to hear it, that's what the BB is for...

·
Registered
313 Posts
The second wheel in post #5 is indeed a rare Nardi, fantastic wheel. It's on a TZ, not TZ2. I restored the car in the photo. Thanks to Gordon for bringing in to the discussion.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are the "weigh-in" pics, Hellebore, and Nardi Classico. Units are ounces. The Nardi is cool too, by the way, 365mm and satin spokes, (I bought new in box from Nardi dealer in `95)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
The spokes are attached to the wheel just by the dowels?

Normally, there would be a metal rim in the circumference of the wheel, so still don't get it.

The Nardi in the above pic has nothing to do with the Nardi on the TZ a few posts back.

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI Alberto

I think the wood is so lightweight that additional reinforcing pins were helpful. Without an x-ray machine, I cant be sure, but perhaps even the metal rim was omitted to achieve the radically light weight. I didn't mean to imply that the pictured Nardi has anything to do with TZ wheels, just a "standard" wheel for comparing the weight of the Hellebore...

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
HI Alberto

I think the wood is so lightweight that additional reinforcing pins were helpful. Without an x-ray machine, I cant be sure, but perhaps even the metal rim was omitted to achieve the radically light weight. I didn't mean to imply that the pictured Nardi has anything to do with TZ wheels, just a "standard" wheel for comparing the weight of the Hellebore...
Thanks for the clarification.

Regards, Alberto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts