Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not mine. Expensive (i guess). Don't know if its real, but that said, I thought that if anyone needed one, they'd appreciate the lead.

Alfa TZ 4 Speed Gearbox

Cheers...Dan

Now, if anyone has an aircleaner box for an Giulia SS they can spare.....

·
Premium Member
22,630 Posts
TZs are five-speeds, so I wonder about the seller already. Pretty hard to tell from the pics what it actually is. Did TZs have magnesium bellhousings generally?
Andrew

·
Registered
64 Posts
TZs are five-speeds, so I wonder about the seller already. Pretty hard to tell from the pics what it actually is. Did TZs have magnesium bellhousings generally?
Andrew
Yes, and also some other details which are typical for the gearbox.

·
Administrator
4,063 Posts
Alfa or Autodelta had a kit to remove the 5th gear, this was evidently a racing option, probably to save weight & lessen the gear train load - I guess it was mainly used on short tight circuits and possibly hill climbs where 5th wasn't required.

Not my gearbox, different Continent, very nearly a different planet....

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
816 Posts
Not!!!!!

Guys,
That is NOT a TZ gearbox. It is a standard Giulietta 4 speed. A TZ doesn't have a cross member mount on the rear. It is held in place by a bracket with two rubber bushings that attach to the tube frame. Whoever is selling it is sadly mistaken and deluding themselves as to the value.
Yes, I owned a TZ and am very familiar with what these parts look like.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Thanks Keith. I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed that.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
TZ trans is an everyday trans

The value (for a TZ owner) in that part of the TZ drivetrain is in the bellhousing (all are magnesium and match the TZ motor's tilt) and in the transmission tail housing.
As Keith wrote, the TZ tail housing is unique with a vertical bracket attached across the back that ties (with a bushing at each end) to the tube frame. The circular casting that holds the single bushing on the standard 105 case is not there.
The claim to be a TZ transmission sent me to the TZ parts book.
The only .11 or .10 parts in the transmission are the shift lever and an optional 1st-2nd selector rod, fork and bolt (why?). Otherwise a TZ transmission is no different from the standard 105. And many TZs probably started life with the common street gearing unless they were immediately identified to be raced. My car, about eight-tenths of the way through the production sequence, did.
(Close ratio? The same gear set as the GTA, possibly lightened, which does have value.)
While the seller doesn't claim to have a TZ driveshaft, that's unique, too. Because the differential is bolted to the tube frame, and on the same plane, it's a single shaft with Giubos at both ends; no center bearing, no u-joints.
The u-joints, of course, are in the half-shafts.
Thanks to the Seattle seller for giving me something to comment on.
Richard B.
TZ #102

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Picture of the gearbox mount

Guys,
That is NOT a TZ gearbox. It is a standard Giulietta 4 speed. A TZ doesn't have a cross member mount on the rear. It is held in place by a bracket with two rubber bushings that attach to the tube frame. Whoever is selling it is sadly mistaken and deluding themselves as to the value.
Yes, I owned a TZ and am very familiar with what these parts look like.
KG
Alfas Unlimited
Hello Members,

Just to show what the bracket and the tailpiece of the gearbox of the TZ gearbox looks like.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Source of the picture

Hi Olaf

Will you share the source of this foto....if possible? Then I will explain why it is interesting, for TZ trivia buffs, that is!

Richard
Hello Richard,

Sure! I took this picture myself in the Alfa Romeo museum in 2010. There are two TZ-1 cars present. Chassisnumber #750022 is the car which I took the photograph from.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
842 Posts
Apologies, it has taken some time to come back to this thread....

As most are aware the nomenclature TZ stands for Tubolare Zagato - a tubular chassis as shown in Olaf`s post above - I am not familiar with how other manufacturers dealt with the cabin floor issue.

Do you sheaf/cover the tubes on the ground side to have a flat bottom but inconvenient inner floor or the reverse, smooth cabin floor but exposed tubes underneath.

And here lies the problem in the solution -- Zagato fabricated a double floor both lower and upper and for good measure wrapped the pipes in some nice moisture absorbing material to prevent metal on metal flapping.

20 years later every TZ had rotten floor tubes.....

Richard

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Ferrari and Scagletti did some of the same, with a double floor with insulation between for heat, tubes exposed below. The captive insulation also collected water and caused deterioration. The problem for Ferrari was both engine heat, and that from a 4 tube exhaust running full length under the car. Some of this was period P.F. design as well, Zagato and most other Italian coachworks builders that worked with tubular framed chassis. This was a reasonable solution to attempt to reduce interior heat build up. These cars were never initially designed to last 50 or 60 years!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts