Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 185/70/14 Uniroyals were nearly eight years old so i decided after much thought to plumb for a set of of Dougal's 185/70/14 185/70 VR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36, I would have fitted 165/14's but my Momo's are 6J and they would have looked horrible, anyhoo I have come to the conclusion that Dougal is a very good salesman but he is a very good salesman who knows what he's talking about. The tyres are a revelation, initially the steering was so light (26psi) it was a bit disconcerting but after that passed they just got better and better, the spider is more pointy and the steering doesn't load up on corners like it used to, a bit of tramlining but nothing to worry about and straight line stability at 70 is good, ride is slightly better and the parking so much easier. I didn't push it too hard but it felt much more progressive so if the back end did break away it wouldn't be a sudden happening, they also look the dogs nads! - so there you go i highly recommend using these tyres, they may be twice as much as a modern but are so worth it.
FYI - my 75 S2 has Koni reds all round, and has a thicker front ARB and rear ARB removed, and standard springs for comfort

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Notwithstanding that new tyres usually always feel better than hard, old ones....that’s pretty much what a moderate user wants to hear.
Nice write-up.

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
With no intent to disparage either the tires or Dougal....

I not long ago started a discussion about a disclaimer posted by a tire merchant selling Pirelli in the US, essentially stating that one must not use, or even allow to touch the ground, CN36 Pirelli tires if they've been sufficiently chilled in the previous 48 hours, lest they crack and fail.

Where I live in the US, that could be a problem.

Generally, I'm not much thinking about it, but the warning is out there. Maybe not much of a problem in the UK.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Don I don't understand what you mean?, are you saying that if they get very cold they will fail? - anyone selling tyres like that here would get sent down for putting peoples lives at risk

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
It's a US Tire Rack notice (no such notice in EU where the CN36s get the thumbs up in tire tests)
"Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in High Performance Summer tires during cold weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius) because it occurs as a result of improper use or storage."

Wouldn't worry about it in jolly old England where you are, you're hardly likely to come across sub zero icy winter conditions for any length of time (when and if, your car would be in the garage, one presumes)...!
It can get cold in Europe in Winter too, that's why we have a winter tire duty obligation here.

Back in the UK in 70's I drove on my Pirelli Cints all year round, rain or shine, ice or snow.........for 20 years!
I used to love sliding about in the snow in my 101 sprint.....they'd probably lock me up nowadays;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dom , don't think I'll be taking mine out in -7, mine is outside under cover but this just sounds like a caveat on Pirellis behalf, I've had summer tyres on my daily's all year round in all weathers and can't say this is really an issue for me, its funny, not one tyre supplier has ever mentioned this. I've had TS850's on my daily previously and they were great tyres but no need now as if its snowy I don't go out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts