Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can somebody advise on the correct trye pressure for a 1750 Gtv?
Can't seem to get it right!
Thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi,
Good question and I''ll be interested in the other responses you get. I have 185-70-14 tires. It was recommended to me to use 31 psi all around. However, with my car, this results in very "twitchy" steering and going over bumps is harsh. I prefer 29 because there is a bit more resistance in the steering and I get an overall smoother ride. I am not into street racing so this advice is for general drivability, using original front suspension components.

I did make the mistake, for about 2 months, of using the pressures recommended in the original owner's manual (I believe something like 22 in front, 24 in rear) but these values were based on the very different tire design in those days. You get a great upper body workout trying to park the car with these low pressures but you also put excessive strain on the steering box which is aluminum and might eventually crack.
John

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just checked my owner's manual for a 1750 gtv and here is what it says for cold tire pressures in psi:

Tire make, front, rear
Pirelli, 24, 26
Michelin, 20, 24
Kleber Colombes, 24, 26

"Note: For sustained speeds exceeding the limits specified by Federal regulations, inflate to the following pressures:

Michelin, 28, 31
Kleber Colombes, 27, 31"

This last bit is for Berlinas. You have to love it that Alfa gives specs for when you might want to break the law:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had been using 30 psi all round. On a 105 expert's recommendation I recently changed to 28 at the front, 25 at the rear and it has transformed the feel of the car for the better.

Ollie

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I don't think that there is an optimum tire pressure that fits every car because of variables like suspension and alignment settings, size and make of tire, use of vehicle and driving style. It's a process of experimentation to arrive at what you think works best for your application.

For another datapoint, I ran a 1750 GTV with 185/60 14 Yokohama A032R tires set at 32psi cold front and rear. After a few hot laps, the pressures ended up at 40 front and 38 rear; just about perfect for the cars settings and my driving style.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also run 32psi front and rear - Falken G tyres - 205/60R14 88H. Yes, the car is a little twitchy but I like it like that. Going over bumps you do feel like someone punched you in the kidneys, but the steering is nice and light and it sticks on corners like s**t to a blanket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts