Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Lance Dong and my wife, Nora, did the same thing at 1:50 while accelerating in second gear and shifting into third. The sound is not really synched with the actual acceleration as there is full torque output at 1800 RPM. :clap:

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
What do people seem to think about the paddle shifter transmission compared to a full manual with column?

I did read that Sergio believes that there is no market for a full manual, that maybe 5 people would buy a 4C with one, and that he would as well, making a total of maybe 6 customers, lol.

So... no gearshift column as we've been used to and like. No column feedback, alas, only numb electronic feel?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Having about 1200 miles on mine now, and living just a bit west (on the ocean) of the mentioned location, traffic is so thick that I can't even do the posted speed limit sometimes.

At times I do miss the stick, but for the most part I do like the paddles. The thing we tend to overlook here is EPA. They tend to prefer automatic transmissions because the engine stays engaged to the wheels/road more. With a stick, there is a long period with the engine free spinning (we call that a shift). During this free spin, the tailpipe emissions are un-acceptable by their standards. To soon for my taste, full manual transmissions won't be available. Paddle shift will keep the EPA happy as there is only milliseconds of free spin during a shift.

I do have several cars with 4 & 5-speed sticks which I do enjoy. I also enjoy my new paddles. The 4C wouldn't be the same car with a stick. The stick, I'm sad to say, is a thing of the past while the paddle is a thing of the future. The 4C embraces the future of cars while honoring style and passion of the past.

It is a driver's car and I love driving it.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
I read that one of the car mags (Road and Track?) concluded that the 4C was one clutch pedal away from being perhaps one of the best sports cars out there right now. They didn't care for the paddles.

One of the reasons I guess I will keep my manual shifting Alfas.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I read that one of the car mags (Road and Track?) concluded that the 4C was one clutch pedal away from being perhaps one of the best sports cars out there right now. They didn't care for the paddles.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

I read all the car mags and those guys drive every single performance car and mundane daily driver for a living. They get jaded since they trade cars daily or weekly so I don't take too much stock in everything they say. One guy hates the paddles, another guy loves them. Who do you believe and why should you? I have always loved my manuals but the first time I drove an F355 F1 I was hooked. Really fast cars are better with a paddle shift for really fast driving. My Alfa's are not fast at all so a 5 speed is fine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That love/hate thing falls into the opinion pile. Some like tomatoes while others don't. You'll never know until you taste one whether you'll like it or not.

Me, I like a good stick and I like the paddles in my 4C too. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably kick myself no matter which one I choose.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I hate to say it but, the stick shift is dead. Most people today lack the skill needed to properly operated one, a fact Fiat is learning as it pays to replace transmissions in Abarths because people can't drive.

While I would prefer a stick, the dual dry clutch automatics are darn good. In a way they combine the best of both worlds.

Greg

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
One reason I won't buy a new car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts