Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
Just for laughs I thought I'd kick off an Alfetta GTAm thread to see if anyone has any other pictures or info on the type 116 GTAm - The other GTAm.

I'm reasonably sure that around 25 Alfetta GTAm's found their way to Australia in 1976. I think it was to homolgate the 2.0 litre Spica injected motor for the local racing series, but that's about all I know (and I'm not even sure of that)....

Cheers
Noel aka DMcF

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The Alfetta GTAm that I nearly bought off Ebay a while ago appeared to just be a Spica Injected Alfetta GT. It definitly had GTAm on the Chassis Plate though. It is the only one I'd ever seen/heard of though. Sold here in Brisbane on Ebay for under $1000 about a year ago?
It was Red and rusty, but between the GTAm chassis plate and the Inezione airbox I thought it was worth saving... unfortunately I couldn't be around at the end of the auction.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does any one have an idea of how many of these cars were built in total? What are the engine differences of 116 GTAm and a 105 GTAm? I presume the bolt pattern on the crank would be different. Anything else?

Luigi

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Copyright 'Alfissimo' by David Owen, Osprey 1979

Hi All,

In the book 'Alfissimo' by David Owen, Osprey 1979 I saw a couple of pictures of similar Alfetta's. Could this have been Alfetta GTAm's as well?

I saw: on the dustcover: Alfetta GT with licenceplate MI V85167 (Andruet in the Tour de Corse 1975), inside pictures of MI V89814 (Zanetti in the Rally of the four Regions), MI V85555 (Andruet in the Elba Rally 1975/Ballestrieri in the San Remo Rally 1975), MI V85554 (Ballestrieri in the Elba Rally 1975) and at least two more prepared for the Costa Brava Rally 1975 (Andruet/Biche and Bellestrieri/Mannini). The last entry had plate MI V76018 (partly visible in the picture).

Ciao! Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is one in Perth Western Australia a member of our Alfa club.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Some interesting photos here! The 116 GTAm, an American spec. GTV was also raced here in Europe and won a championship in 76. According to an article I have from the time it had 248Hp out of 1985cc. The car is usually just called the Autovama car, named after an Alfa dealer in Italy, who probably was the sponsor.

Some photos and a link to participating cars in the series.

1977 Cars

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dear all,

We had an ALITALIA Alfetta GTV and an Alfetta saloon car which raced in South Africa in the late 1970's to early 1980's. To the best of my knowledge these cars were stripped of their parts for other racing cars. The Alfetta cars were notorious for rusting away rapidly so neglected racing car bodies were thrown away.

The GTAm type engine with 8 valves were often used in the place of the more fragile 16 valve units.

There were also various suspension options like 5 stud centre lock hubs or more standard 4 bolt 98mm pitch hubs.

I have attached photographs of some components which came from such cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yup!- basically: 25 RHD American spec cars with Aussie Alfetta GT trim (and a bigger fuel tank, not sure if the US cars had this tank... ?). Imported to homogolate the 2 liter engine for racing. Beninca's T-S GTV that was used in the Targa Tasmania a few years ago was originally one of them from what I believe.

My experience with them is in the last post in the thread below. I really should track down that car...

Alfetta GTAM Discussion

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yup!- basically: 25 RHD American spec cars with Aussie Alfetta GT trim (and a bigger fuel tank, not sure if the US cars had this tank... ?). Imported to homogolate the 2 liter engine for racing. Beninca's T-S GTV that was used in the Targa Tasmania a few years ago was originally one of them from what I believe.

My experience with them is in the last post in the thread below. I really should track down that car...

Alfetta GTAM Discussion
The 25 Australian cars were nothing more than RHD US spec (spica emission engine) cars as you say.
No special twin plug engines or any of the other things that are usually associated with the name GTAm. I have no idea why the local importer even attached that label, maybe just to add more confusion!
Benincas F.I. Alfetta gtv was crashed and written-off at the Sandown enduro in about 76/77, long before Targa Tasmania was ever thought of. The Alfetta GTV that Dom and Joe ran down there was their U-2 Sports Sedan, I can only assume that Tassie had some very special registration rules for competing cars!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gabor, am i correct that the 2nd photo car is the same as the '76 Spa entry Autovama entry, which alse ran in the ETTC?

And that this car is different to the car in photos 1 and 3?

Therefore, car #15 above was the injected GTAM and car #222 is the "garden store" livery carburated Autovama entry..?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
116 gtv: I really cant tell much about those cars, which Autovama had injection and which had carburettors. As far as I know the car was homologated with injection based on the american model Sprint Veloce, 2L with louvres on the rear in stead of the GTV badge. In Europe this would have been an 1,8GT, but not this one. Here they have put the 1985cc injected engine from the Bertone GTAm inside and the power is quoted to 248Hp. Thus the racing successes!

Here some links to the 2L Alfetta GT racecar from 1976 and 1977. Race results can also be found at the same site.

1976 Cars

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Pages/1977 Cars.html

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Alfetta Autodelta 116 GTAm

Hello members,

If we gather all the information sofar we have a list of Group 2 Rally Alfetta cars with different licenseplates that might carry an Autodelta 116 GTAm engine:

Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V63300
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V76018 (Ballestrieri/Mannini in the Costa Brava Rally of 1975)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V76019 (Andruet/Biche in the Costa Brava Rally of 1975, see first photograph in this thread & pictures by AlfaRonny; is Bryson the Australian John Bryson??)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V85167 (Andruet in the Tour de Corse of 1975 and Garden Stores #32 at Spa 24 hours in 1976)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V85169 (see picture below,source unknown)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V85189 (see picture by Alfa Ronny, group 2?)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V85555 (Andruet in the Elba Rally of 1975/Ballestrieri in the San Remo Rally of 1975)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V85554 (Ballestrieri in the Elba Rally of 1975 and Garden Stores #33 at Spa 24 hours in 1976)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI V89814 (Zanetti in the Rally of the four Regions)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate MI Z34520 (Fagnola/Novarese at the 1976 San Remo rallye, see pictures here after)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate FI 811461 (Autovama #222 and Garden Stores #31 at Spa 24 hours in 1976)
Alfetta GT with licenseplate H?U 633 (Australia)

In both the 1976 and 1977 Spa 24 hours race a total of at four Autodelta 1985cc Alfetta GT/GTV's were driven. Some 1962cc Alfetta's also participated. See pictures in next posts. In 1976 in group 2, in 1977 in group 1B. Some of them didn't qualify or DNF. See http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Races/1977 Spa.html

Of course caution is advised as (Italian) licenseplates were changed as was done before with for example TZ-1's and TZ-2's.
And what about the Group 2 Rally Alfetta Berlina cars? Was the Guy Frequelin 1974 Tour de Corse car also a Autodelta 116 GTAm in Berlina disguise? His teammate Beguin also drove such a car in this rally.

Alfetta Sedan with licenceplate MI R11643 (Guy Frequelin in the 1974 Tour de Corse)
Alfetta Sedan with licenseplate MI S80271 (Stommelen/Facetti at Zandvoort in 1973)
Alfetta Sedan with licenseplate MI S39413

More info can be found on: http://www.italiancar.net/pilot/ms054.htm and here on the alfabb under 'Gruppo 2' at http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/108755-alfetta-gruppo-2-a.html

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
And some more pictures

Hello Alfa Ronny & members,

Alfa Ronny, thanks for adding the pictures! And here are some more pictures of the cars mentioned. Some are from the alfabb, some from the internet.

Ciao! Olaf

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts