Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got an 84 GTV6 that I just acquired. The headlights work but are very dim. When I turn on the brights, I've noticed the regular headlights get brighter as well, as seen from the chrome bumper of the truck in front of me. Is that normal? I'd really like the headlights to be as bright as possible for normal driving. Do the regular headlights have 2 bulb filaments?

The hatch does not have one or two of those gas shocks to keep the hatch open. I also have no idea how it attaches since I can't see any mounting bolts etc. Anybody have a picture or a description?

Many thanks, va bene,
Sal

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Here's where the lift strut goes for the hatch. As far as your lights it could be an alternator issue or possibly some loose or dirty electrical contacts. But I would start with a charging system check.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Dim lights are sort of normal, you can upgrade to Hellas, but you need to update the wiring and install a relay to keep from burning up the headlight switch on the column. Greg G has a kit for this, I have it but have yet to install it...

There is one gas shock that mounts in the center, there should be a channel for it on the under side of the cover, you can get the shock off of ebay and a few suppliers have them, seem pricey for what they are, but really no other choice.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Dim lights are a function of "old Italian car" syndrom. Poorly design electrics that really can't cope with the North American market (esp. Midwest). They oxidize badly and then don't pass juice effectively, while drawing too many amps. I'd bet my lunch money that if you clean-up all the main grounds and the headlight grounds to include the bunch under the dash (drvrs side dash hold-down nut) & remove/disassemble/clean-up your column switch assy, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Hello,

I've got an 84 GTV6 that I just acquired. The headlights work but are very dim. When I turn on the brights, I've noticed the regular headlights get brighter as well, as seen from the chrome bumper of the truck in front of me. Is that normal? I'd really like the headlights to be as bright as possible for normal driving. Do the regular headlights have 2 bulb filaments?

The hatch does not have one or two of those gas shocks to keep the hatch open. I also have no idea how it attaches since I can't see any mounting bolts etc. Anybody have a picture or a description?

Many thanks, va bene,
Sal
As mentioned, eBay is a good source for the gas strut. You can also get them retail from Alfa Parts in Berkeley, CA (among other places I'm sure), and yes - they retail for something like $130 USD if I recall correctly.

On a side note: It's REALLY helpful to know where you live when answering these kind of questions. You should consider putting that info into your user profile so that it shows up in the upper right of the header.
Cars were imported to various areas with many small differences. For instance: US cars came with sealed beam units whereas the rest of the world came with H1/H4 combos, so knowing your location will help us tailor our replies to your car. :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm 99% sure the strut is the same for the GTV6 as it is on the Alfetta GT. I bought one on eBay a year or two ago and it works great. I believe, including shipping, it was around $70. It is attached by small circlips.

Biba

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hatch Strut

I looked at Centerline and International Auto Parts sites.
The part number is common to both Alfetta and GTV6. I have an Alfetta GT with a GTV6 hatch.

I ordered one from Stabilus because I was too dumb to look it up on line a few years ago. Paid about $85 vs about $80 at either of the above. I got their address from a Stablius display at Pep Boys. Their catalog showed the correct number but qty = 2. I asked Stabilus to make the correction.
A hint on installing it. Have a friend help. The hatch is HEAVY and therefore the strut takes some force to colapse it while you install it.

re: Head lights - The Alfetta had dim lights also so I created and installed a relay system that gave direct battery power to them. There is a thread on this somewhere. If low power is the problem, you would be smart to order someone's kit. I had too much time on my hands so I decided to invent the system my self. Spent about $50 on parts and a bunch of hours. After a year I am about to "reinvent" it so it will not look so home made.

2nd dig on "where are you from" - Salamandrrr what part of the world are you from??

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think I saw on Ebay GTV6 center lift struts for pretty cheap. A guy from Germany I think had them. I bought other stuff from him and he ships really fast.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
possible you may already have a H4 conversion on the outer headlights if they get brigher with high beam (ie second filament in a H4 bulh v's only 1 in a H1).

I had a similar H4 conversion in my 105 (as per pic below) that had 60/100W bulbs in the outer lights and 100W bulbs in the inner (with H&L relays) and it was awesome to drive at night. At one stage I had a set of driving lights with 100W globes also (six lights and 720W in total) but my alternator was not happy)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have an Alfetta GT and my lights were mediocre at best when I got it. I renewed the ground connection next to the radiator and installed Hella lenses with 110w H4's and H1's and WOW!!! BRIGHT, but illegal! I also have a 110 amp alternator out of a mid 80's GM (AC Delco) providing tons of juice... -Clark

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have an Alfetta GT and my lights were mediocre at best when I got it. I renewed the ground connection next to the radiator and installed Hella lenses with 110w H4's and H1's and WOW!!! BRIGHT, but illegal! I also have a 110 amp alternator out of a mid 80's GM (AC Delco) providing tons of juice... -Clark
I now have a GTV6 and its low beam lights are just awful and need to do what you have done. How did you mount your lenses?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks for responses...

I live in bay area CA. I need to digest all this headlamp upgrade talk vs. clean up the ground connections. I guess I need to do a search on this bulletin board for similar questions and tips.

Thanks all!,
Stammi bene, Sal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts