Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my wrestling to install the passenger side motor mount, I managed to shear off the braided fuel return line at the nipple on the fuel pressure regulator. Try as I might, I have not been able to do something as simple as push the braided line back onto the FPR nipple. I guess after 34 years the line is to hard and to britle. Neither heat nor rubber lube have helped.

This leads me to believe that I should probably just replace the return fuel line. How difficult is this? Nothing seems to go easily on these cars. I can see that the line goes thru a grommet in the firewall, and into the wheel well, then disappears. Presently, I can’t open the passenger door due to limited space in the garage, to follow the line further. But I see that the line under the car is not braided rubber hose. So the braided line doesn’t run all the way back to the tank.

Can anyone tell me what size hose I need, should I used braided line, how long I would need to replace it, and where I can purchase it?

Your help is much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Mike

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I buy my fuel line from Centerline Alfa because the lines are metric. There are two different fuel lines and depends upon the car. I use high pressure fuel lines because I cannot make a mistake and cause a fire. The fuel injected cars use high pressure lines and the carburetor cars use a low pressure line. I have injected cars and have a car with carburetors and use the same high pressure lines for all cars.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
not sure how your s3 differs to my S4
but on the S4 (diagram below) the Fuel regulator return line, is just a short length of hose to a hard line (which has a rubbery outer protection) under the plenum

that hose on mine is ID.8 x OD.13 mm fuel hose.
BMW do a meter length of high pressure 8x13mm fuel hose
or ebay for about 15$

but check yours is the same first! (someone here will be able to confirm)

fpr hoses.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t mind telling on myself. For the last few days I’ve been trying to get the braided line that I thought was the fuel return line on the FPR. After the last try today with hot water, and no luck. No way. I got out my calipers. I’ve been trying to get a 6mm x 9 mm braided line on an 8mm nipple. The literature said it was supposed to be a 8mm x 13mm braided line. So I started looking around. Sure enough I found that I had pushed that line down below the engine while I was fighting the passenger side motor mount.

Long story short, it turns out the line I had been fighting was the line to the vapor cannister as Dom had suggested and I found the 8x 13 fuel return line. Problem solved.
Thanks for all your help.
Mike

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Long story short, it turns out the line I had been fighting was the line to the vapor cannister
now that would have been interesting (not) if you had somehow fitted it to the fuel regulator......your return fuel would have filled up the OVS and eventually got into the engine via the cam breather:(

Glad it's fixed:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. It would have been disastrous. Got the radiator installed and filled. It’s all put back together and surprise, it started right up.

Can’t thank you all enough for all your help and advise.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts