Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil ?
Should I use a lighter oil when I store the car for winter? Current is 20/50 GTX

Tire ?
The max pressure on my tires state 44psi (iput them @ 42PSI). However, the sticker on the car states 26 rear and 24 front. Wow that seems really low to me.
Which one is it?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Tire pressure listed on tire is max - doesn't mean you should be running with it as normal pressure. If you are starting it up during a cold WI. winter, I'd go with a 10W-40 (even though I don't like 10w-40) or a 15w-40. If you are just storing it until Spring, 20w-50 would be fine IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run 32 all around on my 74 spider with new falken tires. Feels like a roller skate (very smooth). some folks run 32 front and 30 rear. i would start with 32 all-around and go from there (personal preference, street conditions and track style).
Ciao,
JAKE

·
Supporting Vendor
4,414 Posts
The max pressure on my tires state 44psi (iput them @ 42PSI). However, the sticker on the car states 26 rear and 24 front. Wow that seems really low to me. Which one is it?
Probably neither is the optimum tire pressure.

The only reliable way to figure out what tire pressure is correct is to chalk the sides of the tread and go out and drive your car hard. Then you can look at the chalk marks and see how much the sidewall is rolling over. You don't want too much, nor do you want too little.

Joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is IAP's tips for Winter car storage...

HTH, Robert

Winter Car Storage Gear from IAP
For many of us, autumn is starting to feel a little more like winter and the number of leaves on the trees is about equal to the number in the front yard. Now, alas, is the time to start thinking about parking the sports car for the winter. Storing your car properly will make it a lot easier to get back on the road next spring. IAP has the Alfa, Fiat and Lancia parts you need, plus car covers, battery maintainers, convertible tops and car care products. Our panel of experts has come up with a few simple steps you can take to preserve and protect your car over the winter.

Probably the easiest way to store a car is to not store it at all. If you think you can drive your car (and by "drive," we don't mean idling it in the garage for a couple of minutes) at least once every 4 weeks for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time, then you and your car are better off without the deep storage routine. But for those who live in harsh winter climes, those with two homes etc., storage is the only option. What follows is sort of a punch list of tasks to perform:

Warm the car up fully. On your drive, stop by the auto parts store and get a quart can of Marvel Mystery Oil. Pour almost the whole can in the gas tank (save about 4-6 tablespoons for later), and then fill the tank up completely with fuel. The Marvel Mystery Oil will act as an upper cylinder lubricant. By the way, if you're thinking about a new gas tank for spring, click here to see a complete list of applications.

Change the engine oil and the oil filter. If you own a Spica-injected car, don't forget the injection pump oil filter, too.

Drain and flush the cooling system. Ensure that the heater valve is open. Refill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of fresh antifreeze and distilled water.

Top up the trans/differential/steering box. Transmission and differential oil should be changed every 30,000 miles; now is the time if that service is due. We recommend you use the correct Spirax or Redline oil.

Top off the brake fluid. Braking system should be flushed and bled with new fluid every 2 years. If your car's due, now's a good time to do it. Our Brake Bleeding Tool can help.

Wash and wax the paint and brightwork. We recommend our line of AutoSport Car Care products. And Wurth Body Protection is great for treating interior body panels and joints, since the waxy substance seeps into cracks and crevices to seal out moisture. Don't forget to clean your wheels. Brake dust is very corrosive. AutoSport Gloss Wheel Cleaner is a great way to remove stubborn grime and their Tire & Trim Protection will prevent aging and cracking caused by any ultraviolet rays that might seep through your garage window.

Thoroughly (and we do mean thoroughly) clean the inside of the car with AutoSport Interior Car Care products. A couple of silica gel packets can help absorb moisture in your interior.

Remove the battery and clean the battery and battery case with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize acid. Take the battery inside and place on an automatic trickle charger like our Battery Tender or Ctek. Be safe—be sure not to place it too close to the furnace or a heater or anything that might spark.

Push (or, temporarily reinstall battery and drive) the car into a storage area - hopefully indoors. If you are storing the car in an area with an earth or gravel floor, lay a big piece of plastic down first, then drive the car onto that. The plastic will provide a vapor barrier and help keep the car from rusting. For a more attractive, long-lasting solution, try our Garage Floor Covering.

Raise the car on jackstands. Place the jackstands under the various suspension components so that the suspension is compressed and at normal ride height. We've found that fully extended shocks tend to get stuck in that position, hence the last instruction. If space is tight in your garage, you can rest the car on a set of Auto Dollies, so you can move it easily into a corner.

Remember that 4-6 tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil we held in reserve? Now comes the time to use it. Pull the spark plugs out of the engine, pour a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and turn the engine over by hand several revolutions in order to spread the Marvel Mystery Oil around the cylinder walls. Reinstall the spark plugs.

Place a couple of mothballs in the trunk, the interior, and the engine compartment. Hopefully this will dissuade little furry creatures from building nests. Then fit a quality car cover, preferably from IAP! An even better solution is to cocoon the car and cover in a Car Pocket. If the car is being stored indoors, crack the windows about 3/8".

Fall is a great time to replace your convertible top. If your top is rotten or developing holes, a quality replacement top from IAP will help keep air and elements away from your interior.

Finally, if possible, rotate the drive axles a few turns once a month. This will help to keep the differential gears and transmission mainshaft and countershaft coated with oil.

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
Are you saying that in WI you begin to worry about storing your Spider at the end of August?!?

For storing the car any oil would be fine. Don't leave old oil in the sump, though. It can be too acidic. Change the oil before storing the car (might as well use the oil you'll want in there come spring). Then run it a few miles to circulate the fresh oil.

If you want to experiment with adjusting tire pressures as Joe Cab is suggestiing, here's a link to page one (of four) that describes the procedure: tire pressure tech by the MGA Guru

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Are you saying that in WI you begin to worry about storing your Spider at the end of August?!"

Well, yes and no. I just like to be prepared and know what to do. I will drive as long into the fall if possible. However, it has been known to snow in late September and early October. I don't want to be caught off gaurd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts