Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these hood bumpers unscrew. And what's the trick to getting this chrome strip off without bending the crap out of it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes, the round black rubber stops do unscrew. If you cannot turn one by hand, you can use a Channel Lock tongue and groove plier for a better grip and torque.

As for removing the lower trim piece: after removing the (4 or 5? can't remember) tiny screws you just need to carefully pry it off.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Yes, the round black rubber stops do unscrew. If you cannot turn one by hand, you can use a Channel Lock tongue and groove plier for a better grip and torque.

As for removing the lower trim piece: after removing the (4 or 5? can't remember) tiny screws you just need to carefully pry it off.
Agree, but with two qualifications:

- If your hood bumpers are 40 years old, they are likely to break when you apply the Channel Locks to them. Some silicone or WD-40 applied to the metal-rubber interface may help prevent that. But if one does break, it isn't a problem; Alfa parts suppliers sell replacements.

- There are just two screws holding on the lower windshield trim: the screws at the outer ends. Remove those, slide it forward, and it's off. Getting it back on is just as easy, as long as you have four hands.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
As for the trim removal......

I think there are only 2 screws. One on each end.

The trim is held in place by these clips.

IMG_00000430.jpg

IMG_00000431.jpg

Once the screws are removed, pull the trim straight back.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Vin is correct - the only screws securing the stainless trim piece are the two located at the very ends, but the trim piece does not slide 'back' as he described (meaning towards the rear of the car) off the retaining clips, it slides back (away from the windshield) towards the front of the car. And if it seems to be "stuck" in place, it could be that there are some excess amounts of the black butyl used to seal the windscreen rubber under it, or some PO used copious amounts of silicone sealant in an attempt to secure the trim piece or stop a pesky water leak (which was probably due to a cracked or broken cowl drain hose).

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
but the trim piece does not slide 'back' as he described (meaning towards the rear of the car) off the retaining clips, it slides back (away from the windshield) towards the front of the car
Ya, that was what I was trying to say and show.

Thanks for making it clear.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Wow! That's a unique-looking dash. What year did Alfa stop using the factory-installed longitudinal cracks in the vent area? I don't think I've ever seen a Spider without them.
Wish I could say I have that elusive dash, but alas, I have a dash cap.:wink2:

I have seen one without a crack, mcola here on the bb has one. Nice!

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Ya, that was what I was trying to say and show.

Thanks for making it clear.

Vin
I knew exactly what you meant too, Vin, but I wasn't sure if Imajeepguy did/would.

My comment was not to correct you Vin, but to save Imajeepguy from accidentally breaking some of the tabs on those "always rusted, easy to break, and difficult to replace" clips that hold the trim piece in place.

Nice pictures BTW!

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I knew exactly what you meant too, Vin, but I wasn't sure if Imajeepguy did/would.

My comment was not to correct you Vin, but to save Imajeepguy from accidentally breaking some of the tabs on those "always rusted, easy to break, and difficult to replace" clips that hold the trim piece in place.

:smile2:
Absolutely understand! No offense taken.

We are all here to help each other and to make it easier for the next person.

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Wow! That's a unique-looking dash. What year did Alfa stop using the factory-installed longitudinal cracks in the vent area? I don't think I've ever seen a Spider without them.
Every Spider dash in the big town of Fisher, Illinois is uncracked!
>:)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts