Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have two questions regarding my 71 spider.

1) I need to replace the rubber mounts that the carb's are fitted too. Is this a big job? can any one give me a step by step run through on how to tackle the job? The rubbers are shot and this is allowing the car to suck in air!!!

2) I need to replace the windscreen. Do they go in ok? any tips?

Appreciate any help/Advice

Rod

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rod,

It's been a while but as I recall some of the fasteners for the rubber isolation mounts are trapped behind the intake manifold. So everything about the job should be fairly straight forward as far as removal of the carbs but removal of the intake manifold breaks into the cooling system which adds complexity (draining the system and etc.) and the need to clean the manifold to block gasket surface for reassembly with a new gasket. Treat the Webers nicely and the throttle alignment should not be changed. I don't have any advice on the windscreen.

Good luck,
Al
1967 Duetto in restoration

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Al..

I was thinking that the cooling system played a part... I suppose it gives me a chance to flush the system out.. Think I will give it a go and see how I get on!

Cheers!

Rod,

It's been a while but as I recall some of the fasteners for the rubber isolation mounts are trapped behind the intake manifold. So everything about the job should be fairly straight forward as far as removal of the carbs but removal of the intake manifold breaks into the cooling system which adds complexity (draining the system and etc.) and the need to clean the manifold to block gasket surface for reassembly with a new gasket. Treat the Webers nicely and the throttle alignment should not be changed. I don't have any advice on the windscreen.

Good luck,
Al
1967 Duetto in restoration

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rod, The UK show Wheeler Dealers did a '72 or '74 Alfa on the show and they had this exact rubber carb mount problem. The show is probably available on the internet and I think if you watched it you'd see this a very straight forward job. Good luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary...

Nice one fella, just found it on the IPlayer and yes it was a 72 car with Ed doing just what I want to do! How good it would be to have and Ed!

Thanks!

Rod, The UK show Wheeler Dealers did a '72 or '74 Alfa on the show and they had this exact rubber carb mount problem. The show is probably available on the internet and I think if you watched it you'd see this a very straight forward job. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Guys

I have two questions regarding my 71 spider.

1) I need to replace the rubber mounts that the carb's are fitted too. Is this a big job? can any one give me a step by step run through on how to tackle the job? The rubbers are shot and this is allowing the car to suck in air!!!

2) I need to replace the windscreen. Do they go in ok? any tips?

Appreciate any help/Advice

Rod
I have one piece of advice in addition to that which has been given.

If you can, source one 'double' rubber mount and two 'single' runner mounts.

Put the double mount in the middle, between the two carbs. Put the two singles on the outside.

The double in the middle will add a little stability between the two carbs.

HTH,

bs

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip fella.... I was looking to fit the alfaholics upgraded versions, ie they never need changing again. machine made with no rubber in sight!

I was advised to fit a new engine mount at the same time with an upgraded version too? does this make sense?

Rod

I have one piece of advice in addition to that which has been given.

If you can, source one 'double' rubber mount and two 'single' runner mounts.

Put the double mount in the middle, between the two carbs. Put the two singles on the outside.

The double in the middle will add a little stability between the two carbs.

HTH,

bs

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Thanks for the tip fella.... I was looking to fit the alfaholics upgraded versions, ie they never need changing again. machine made with no rubber in sight!

I was advised to fit a new engine mount at the same time with an upgraded version too? does this make sense?

Rod
I'd have to look at the Alfaholics kit before I could comment. In general, all of their stuff I've seen is of the highest quality. However, I'd question a carb mount with no damping. My understanding is that solid mounts can cause vibrations and cavitation in the carb bowls. But I'm not expert..

If you have the carbs off, then certainly you'll have a much easier time replacing the mount, so it's a good time to do it.

bs

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks... I will pluck up the courage to start the job over the weekend! The joys!!

I'd have to look at the Alfaholics kit before I could comment. In general, all of their stuff I've seen is of the highest quality. However, I'd question a carb mount with no damping. My understanding is that solid mounts can cause vibrations and cavitation in the carb bowls. But I'm not expert..

If you have the carbs off, then certainly you'll have a much easier time replacing the mount, so it's a good time to do it.

bs

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Alfaholics carb mounts on my Alfa...

Hi Folks,

I have a 1971 Spider 1750 fitted with the Alfaholics aluminium carb mounts. Whilst they may appear to be a solid mount, they incorporate silicone rubber O-rings on the part of the mount which faces the carb, which enables vibration to be dampened.

The quality of these mounts are very high - properly installed they really are a "set-and-forget" item. :):):)

I really would recommend them, especially as the quality of the original fitment rubber mounts has apparently worsened in recent times (e.g. rubber mounts cracking after a couple of months). :eek::eek::eek:

Hope this helps,

Andrew Matusiewicz
1971 Alfa Spider 1750 Veloce
1983 Alfasud Ti QV

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Fella

Any other upgrades that you would recomend? Pertronix ignition for example?

Did you fit the mounts yourself?:)

Rod

Hi Folks,

I have a 1971 Spider 1750 fitted with the Alfaholics aluminium carb mounts. Whilst they may appear to be a solid mount, they incorporate silicone rubber O-rings on the part of the mount which faces the carb, which enables vibration to be dampened.

The quality of these mounts are very high - properly installed they really are a "set-and-forget" item. :):):)

I really would recommend them, especially as the quality of the original fitment rubber mounts has apparently worsened in recent times (e.g. rubber mounts cracking after a couple of months). :eek::eek::eek:

Hope this helps,

Andrew Matusiewicz
1983 Alfasud Ti QV

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Roony,

I have to admit I didn't fit the carb mounts myself (I have a bad shoulder - old motorcycle accident) and its a bit of a fiddly job - you have to remove the inlet manifold to get at the carb mount's fixing bolts, which means moving your right arm in ways mine can't go :mad::mad::mad:.

That said, if you're patient, it is a job you can do yourself. Just make sure you put sealant on the paper gaskets which face the inlet manifold side of the mounts, without sealant the gasket can leak. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Re other changes, I've installed a Marelliplex electronic ignition system to replace the Bosch points. This is the electronic ignition system Alfa used as standard in the 1980s. I know that there are newer, more advanced systems available, but in Australia at least old Marelliplex systems are readily available, new spares are available too, so you can overhaul any second hand unit quite easily. I have one on both my Spider and my 'Sud Ti, and have found them to improve performance, make starting easier, and they have also been faultlessly reliable.

The only other enhancement I have a the moment are Koni Classic (i.e. Koni Red) shocks front and back - I think they are the best option if you run standard (i.e. non-lowered) springs.

Hope this helps... :):):)

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
1983 Alfasud Ti QV

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips Andrew...

I am going to give the job a go myself and see if I can make it work!

Will keep you all posted!

Hi Roony,

I have to admit I didn't fit the carb mounts myself (I have a bad shoulder - old motorcycle accident) and its a bit of a fiddly job - you have to remove the inlet manifold to get at the carb mount's fixing bolts, which means moving your right arm in ways mine can't go :mad::mad::mad:.

That said, if you're patient, it is a job you can do yourself. Just make sure you put sealant on the paper gaskets which face the inlet manifold side of the mounts, without sealant the gasket can leak. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Re other changes, I've installed a Marelliplex electronic ignition system to replace the Bosch points. This is the electronic ignition system Alfa used as standard in the 1980s. I know that there are newer, more advanced systems available, but in Australia at least old Marelliplex systems are readily available, new spares are available too, so you can overhaul any second hand unit quite easily. I have one on both my Spider and my 'Sud Ti, and have found them to improve performance, make starting easier, and they have also been faultlessly reliable.

The only other enhancement I have a the moment are Koni Classic (i.e. Koni Red) shocks front and back - I think they are the best option if you run standard (i.e. non-lowered) springs.

Hope this helps... :):):)

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
1983 Alfasud Ti QV

·
Registered
255 Posts
A note regarding the rubber mounts. It is true the quality is not always good. I complained because the moulding was just acceptable and not more (even though they are advertised as "original quality"), but was told that if I wanted quality, I should buy the above mentioned alu - o-ring-types ! I had problems with height differences on 2 single and 1 siamese mount, they all looked OK from a distance, but the height difference was about 1 mm ! I first noticed it when I mounted the carbs, so I had to renew the intake manifold gasket again because I had used some blue liquid gasket around the coolant openings ! So please check before assembly...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tip... I will check this out... Do you recomend the blue liquid seal?

A note regarding the rubber mounts. It is true the quality is not always good. I complained because the moulding was just acceptable and not more (even though they are advertised as "original quality"), but was told that if I wanted quality, I should buy the above mentioned alu - o-ring-types ! I had problems with height differences on 2 single and 1 siamese mount, they all looked OK from a distance, but the height difference was about 1 mm ! I first noticed it when I mounted the carbs, so I had to renew the intake manifold gasket again because I had used some blue liquid gasket around the coolant openings ! So please check before assembly...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, I use it because I saw erosion around the coolant openings on the old gasket and I had an old FIAT 128 where this gasket incorporated an o-ring, this design I found very good :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I will pick some up!

Yes, I use it because I saw erosion around the coolant openings on the old gasket and I had an old FIAT 128 where this gasket incorporated an o-ring, this design I found very good :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts