Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
The best and perhaps even overly well-kept secret of Sergio Marchionne is his future plan for Alfa Romeo.
My speculation about the secret is that Fiat group is waiting to sell their global distribution network for consumer cars to a Chinese manufacturer who needs exactly that -- a global distribution network. It's the only thing left of value in the Fiat consumer car group. I'm guessing such a transaction is likely to happen in the 2016 to 2020 time frame, depending on how soon the economies in North America, Europe and China recover. In the meantime, Marchionne does his song and dance about a bright future with new products (hard to do when there is no new R&D but just repackaging) to keep the dealers from running away.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Two More Years

My speculation about the secret is that Fiat group is waiting to sell their global distribution network for consumer cars to a Chinese manufacturer who needs exactly that -- a global distribution network. It's the only thing left of value in the Fiat consumer car group. I'm guessing such a transaction is likely to happen in the 2016 to 2020 time frame, depending on how soon the economies in North America, Europe and China recover. In the meantime, Marchionne does his song and dance about a bright future with new products (hard to do when there is no new R&D but just repackaging) to keep the dealers from running away.
Ruedi,

You are not the only automotive savvy person that I have heard express this opinion.

NMMilano said:
I'd rather see the brand die than ever have to look at an Alfa SUV.
They didn't import the Alfa station wagon I would have liked, so I wouldn't mind seeing an Alfa SUV. It might just convince me not to buy a Maser as my next car.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
An Alfa SUV is doomed to be as big a disaster as it was for Porsche.

That said, I am still in the camp that believes something's getting sold to somebody, or we would be months if not days away from getting new Alfas in the US, instead of years.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How has the Cayenne been a disaster for Porsche? They've sold a gagillion of them and because of the revenue been able to develop tons of new product. They're even coming out with a smaller one this year.

We've been getting the new Maserati Quattroportes in thick and fast for the last couple of months and it is a pretty good car. If the new Alfa V6 is anything like the Mas V6 turbo then hooray... So much torque!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
How has the Cayenne been a disaster for Porsche? ...
Dude!

You failed to counterpoint the surrealism of my underlying metaphor.

I will allow most of the time sarcasm doesn't translate well. But that effort, I thought, was world class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts