Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When something under your two liter spider starts howling when you put in the clutch it's probably the clutch throw-out bearing. And you can always order it from AFRA using the Alfa part number 1356.10.007. Notice that number sequence dates back to the early 1900 series (or earlier) of the early 1950 era. [And, in fact, that part number is correct for the entire 1900 series according to my parts book)

But, the throwout bearing you will receive from AFRA will probably be marked RIV 9622b (made in Italy). But it might not. Alfa doesn't generally make its own bearings. It might just as well be an American bearing shipped there to be sent back at huge markup. Many different manufactures - Italian, German, American, Japanese (and even Chinese) make the same bearings, all measured in millimeters. That is true of all bearings. The only specific bearings for Alfa seem to be the "shouldered" ones for the classic 5 speed transmission.

But with only the Alfa part number you might not be able to find anything in a good old Yankee parts house. You need an actual manufacturers part number from which bearing house computers can find the "crossover" numbers to other manufacturers.

When my spider was my daily driver between 1965 and 1990 there were many times when there was no dealer help, and I had to find American parts. I used 1962 Chevy II clutch disks, but bearings were always a piece of cake. Bearing shops had books before they had computers and could start with the number you brought in and find crossover numbers to similar bearing (all measured in millimeters) made by other manufacturers -- New Departure, Fafnir, SKF, BCA, etc. I believe I remember being given a 1941 Plymouth throw-out bearings that worked fine. I was cheap besides.

And just last week I had to find a two liter throw out bearing. Luckily I had two used ones. One had the Italian RIV number (which, probably because of its age, did not "crossover"). But I also had bearing, one made in America marked BCA 1752-1. There was one in Portland, the first bearing dealer said (he called back the next day and said he had found only 5 in all the United States and the other four in Kentucky). So I called my local NAPA parts house and gave them both numbers. I was told they would be available in the warehouse, so I ordered a couple (an extra for one of my other two liters).

Today they came and I was surprised to see neither number I has given them on the bearings. Instead the manufacturer was SKF of Elgin, Illinois, and the NAPA number was N1136. They cost $41.99 each. I asked what besides the Alfa that they fit. But they said nothing in their literature said it fit any Alfa, but I was given a printed two page list of what it would fit: AMC Ambassadors, Marlins and Rambler Classics from 1958 to 1965; Oldsmobile Dynamic 88, Jetstar 1 and 76, 88, and 98 series from 1958 to 1964; and about every Studebaker made from 1955 to 1964. (No mention, however, of anything as old as a 1941 Plymouth, but mainly because the computer doesn't have as many of the old cars that the ancient bearing books had). Moral of the story is to go to the bearing dealer in your area who has been in business longest. And who knows there might even be Chinese bearings (which, by the way I was able to get with the seals for steering boxes).

As for you 2600 owners, I have used two liter throw-out bearings for 2600 cars, and 2600 throw-out bearings in two liter. They are not the same, and don't work as well as the right parts, but can be made to work by shortening or lengthening the rod that the slave cylinder pushes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts