Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 71 Spider back from the painter (looks great!) and I started working on replacing the very cracked dashboard. I picked up one on ebay that only had a few cracks and I did the miracle $30 resto on it, which really came out looking nice. I ran into two problems, so far, during the swap out.

First, the configuration of the gauges (gas, etc.) is different. My 71 has three round gauges and four warning lights. The dash that I bought has three different shaped holes and no holes for warning lights. I presume it is from a later model, but it appears otherwise the same. I'm considering cutting out the sheet metal from the old dash and moving it to the new dash, unless there is a better way that someone knows about.

Also, I'm missing one of the heater/defroster vents on the new one and they are different than the old one. I prefer the ones on the new dash, and the old ones are pretty trashed anyway. I've been trying to find a source for these, but have had no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ben

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a 90 Graduate, and it has some cracks going down from both the center vents, but other then that, its in good shape. What was this $30 Miracle you are talking about. I was going to try one I found on the net but I didnt see too many positive or applicable reviews for dashboard repairs, mostly just soft leather.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
just cut the holes out till they fit on the new dash

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would, but they don't line up. The ones on the new dash are wider, so the gauges wont fill the entire width of the hole. There would be a pretty sizeable gap remaining.

·
Registered
163 Posts
how about making some custom brackets for the gauges, the possibly wraping the gauges with some black vinyl around the outside of them until you fill up the gap, it wouldnt look to bad if done right. Ive actually done that on one of my old e28 BMWs, took a few attemps but in the end it looked great i thought and no one noticed :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not only were the holes the wrong size, they were the wrong shape too. The gauges are round and the holes are kind of "trapezoidal." I ended up cutting the panel out of the old dash and moving it to the new dash. It actually doesn't look too bad. I might touch it up a bit, but I think it will work fine.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
yeah that should work, glad you figured that out i hate when you buy something and your all ready to install it and theres a problem...iritating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts