Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALFA ROMEO SPIDER VELOCE 2K 1984

Where would I get the positive terminal end, mine was super loose and had fallen off twice, on top of that my quick release for my negative end had broken in half, so I got two new temp lead ends, turns out I don't really need one for the negative, but still do for the positive, long story short the lead end doesn't fit the whole battery cable, and both alternator cables, where should i buy a real solder end not just a temp lead end, that would fit my car. Second question, for temp use since I have to get around, would cutting the battery wire and two alternator wires and clamping them together in the lead end be a problem? Any shorts or something like that, or is that fine? I don't want to get one that fits, get everything cut and ready, then find out i just shorted my battery cables. Thanks a ton in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, Thanks, Yeah I think that's what I will end up doing, although I do need to get the temp one on first in order to get it to that shop. So do you know if the alternator and battery cables will short if the wires are touching?

·
Registered
347 Posts
If both wires are positive 12v, it won't matter if they touch, source is the same.

ALFA ROMEO SPIDER VELOCE 2K 1984

Where would I get the positive terminal end, mine was super loose and had fallen off twice, on top of that my quick release for my negative end had broken in half, so I got two new temp lead ends, turns out I don't really need one for the negative, but still do for the positive, long story short the lead end doesn't fit the whole battery cable, and both alternator cables, where should i buy a real solder end not just a temp lead end, that would fit my car. Second question, for temp use since I have to get around, would cutting the battery wire and two alternator wires and clamping them together in the lead end be a problem? Any shorts or something like that, or is that fine? I don't want to get one that fits, get everything cut and ready, then find out i just shorted my battery cables. Thanks a ton in advance!

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
It's not to common for the positive battery cable end to be unable to be tightened. It's far more common for the negative cable as the post diameter is smaller.
Anyway, a little trick that works quite well, assuming that the cable end is not cracked, is to remove the cable end pinch bolt. Then file down the internal flat portions of the cable end where the bolt goes through. This will allow the cable end to then be clamped tight against the post.
I'm not exactly clear on the number of wires on the positive battery post. Is there one large cable plus two smaller cables?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not to common for the positive battery cable end to be unable to be tightened. It's far more common for the negative cable as the post diameter is smaller.
Anyway, a little trick that works quite well, assuming that the cable end is not cracked, is to remove the cable end pinch bolt. Then file down the internal flat portions of the cable end where the bolt goes through. This will allow the cable end to then be clamped tight against the post.
I'm not exactly clear on the number of wires on the positive battery post. Is there one large cable plus two smaller cables?
Unfortunately the Positive wires were already cut, and the thing is fairly dinged up and rusty, If i can possibly put the wires back in it i will for sure, but either way i need a temp first to get to somewhere where i can do that. But yes, one big black wire and the two small red wires.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
An easy, cheap and (semi) permanent solution is to replace the positive cable end with a bolt on type cable end. Any autoparts store will have one; just ask for a battery cable end for a top post battery. Cut and strip all three wires and bolt it together. Then rattle can paint the connection to prevent corrosion.
I've sent you a private message.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course now I need a crimping tool. This has been a very meticulous little quest for some seemingly easy parts to find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts