Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is the scoop, an old family friend asked me to help them with their old Alfa Spider since I spent half a year fixing an 05 porsche so I said yes.
I started with the 1990 1 new battery and changed oil and filter. changed out plugs and sprayed each cylinder with fogging oil. put a gallon of gas in the tank and let is sit for a few days then siphoned out the gas that was in the tank which came out as dark tea. put more gas in it and tried to start it for a minute and while the car spun over and gave me a shock when checking spark plug wires. I fear that the fuel pump may be seized and or the fuel lines may be clogged or just the filter.

I have seen a drawing of the fuel system which shows a in tank fuel pump. does the fuel tank need to be removed to replace the pump? does anyone have more information on this task? or a good link.

I did go through all the fuses several were blown for unknown reasons. supposedly the car ran fine and was just parked and the plate returned to the DMV for storage.

also I am in Hawaii and there is not much of a following here for the cars.

thank you in advance Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
so here is the scoop, an old family friend asked me to help them with their old Alfa Spider since I spent half a year fixing an 05 porsche so I said yes.
I started with the 1990 1 new battery and changed oil and filter. changed out plugs and sprayed each cylinder with fogging oil. put a gallon of gas in the tank and let is sit for a few days then siphoned out the gas that was in the tank which came out as dark tea. put more gas in it and tried to start it for a minute and while the car spun over and gave me a shock when checking spark plug wires. I fear that the fuel pump may be seized and or the fuel lines may be clogged or just the filter.

I have seen a drawing of the fuel system which shows a in tank fuel pump. does the fuel tank need to be removed to replace the pump? does anyone have more information on this task? or a good link.

I did go through all the fuses several were blown for unknown reasons. supposedly the car ran fine and was just parked and the plate returned to the DMV for storage.

also I am in Hawaii and there is not much of a following here for the cars.

thank you in advance Matthew
Welcome to AlfaBB
I imagine that someone on this list will ask you to post pictures. Inside joke.
Okay, assuming that they are both US spec cars, the 1983 will have Bosch L-Jetronic injection and the 1990 will have Bosch Motronic injection.
You will probably want to pull the tanks on both cars and either replace them or have them boiled out and sealed on the inside. Ethanol and sitting do not go well together.
You do not need to pull the tanks to get to the in tank booster pump. Life the trunk mat and you will find the cover plate for the pump and sending unit. Remove the 8 screws and you can wiggle the units out. I imagine you will find a ton of corrosion and all will need replacing.
The main pump is under the car near the right rear wheel. Both pumps are fed from the same circuit. There is also a fuel filer down there.
I would replace both pumps, the filter and all the flexible fuel lines then replace or repair the tanks before trying to go any further.
If you want high quality detailed wiring diagrams for both cars, send me a PM(converation) on this forum and I will end you those.
FYI, the 1983 will have 2 ECUS. One for spark and one for fuel. The 1990 will have just one. In both caes, they are located behind the passenger seat beneath the package shelf but the spark ECU for the 1983 will be hind the piece of carpet on the side of the passenger shelf behind the passenger seat.
I am betting that you will end up having plugged injectors as well.
Cruzin Performance can straighten those out for you for about $125 per car.
How do I know all of this? In the last 3 years, I have brought back 3 of these cars laid up for 17, 15 and 12 years. Had to do this on all three cars

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB.
I imagine that someone on this list will ask you to post pictures. Inside joke.
A joke?!? Pictures provide vital information. We need to know all the pertinent details - like what color are they. Pictures help provide the info we need to properly diagnose the issues...

Click on the link in my signature for a page of DIY diagnosis of the L-jetronic system in the Series 3 Spiders ('82 - '89). (you may need to first click the down arrow lower right corner) The Series 4 Spider's ('90 - '94) are similar but they combined the two computers into one and have a single crank pulley sensor instead of the L-jet's two flywheel sensors.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,454 Posts
Unfortunately that guide isn't going to be particularly useful on the '90...they changed a lot of stuff in the Motronic system. But it'll be a big help for the '83.

Pumps on the '90 will only get power during running or cranking. So start with the basics: see if you're getting power to the pumps, then feel/listen if the pumps are working.

You can also use a remote starter switch to run 12V from the battery to the pink/white wire terminal on the fuel tank sender (in-tank pump) and also the pink/white terminal on the main fuel pump. They'll make an obvious noise if they're working.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It must be in the air. Someone called me this week to look at and advise them on getting "Grandpa's old Alfa running". A 1960 Giulietta Spider, purchased by Grandpa for Grandmom, new. Really low miles; she didn't like to drive it. Stored indoors in a clean heated garage. Hasn't been started (or anything else) in 45 years. Oy. I'll start another thread on this after I look at it next week.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I can help you get either one running but not in Hawaii, just long distance. Any photos of the rear ends of the cars or of the engine compartments?
Not to offend Eric but he always asks for photos and he is not joking.;)

Reactions: ghnl

·
Registered
111 Posts
I started restoring my 83 a couple months ago so I am new here as well. I have quite a few posts on here, this group is amazing! Hopefully I can start giving back soon with advice, but I am just a noob. So welcome, and post some dog gone pics!!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I started restoring my 83 a couple months ago so I am new here as well. I have quite a few posts on here, this group is amazing! Hopefully I can start giving back soon with advice, but I am just a noob. So welcome, and post some dog gone pics!!! :)
But you are learning fast! Pretty soon you will be giving me advice.;)

Sorry about the carpet trouble. Very strange looking mess that you received

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
i would get new tires... you have' spun ' the engine over.. yes you did.. but before you do that again,, put 2 tablespoons of oil in each cly.. and let it soak in for a day.. then turn over by hand.. no spark plugs... change fuel filters oil filter, oil... FLUSH out brake and clutch fluid..( its 20 years old !!!!!!! )fuel pump from a volvo 240 types will work, and they wont charge you ' exotic ' alfa romeo prices..' remove the luel take and clean with really hot water and dishwashing soap a few times... rinse out with hot water... a few times.....ALL replace all the rubber hoses... just to start

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
and tried to start it for a minute and while the car spun over and gave me a shock when checking spark plug wires.
means you at least have spark!
you're half way there;)

First thing I'd do is wash the cars and pump air in the tires.......you get a lot more pleasure working on them if you clean off all that filth and start to see how nice they look:)
then check or replace pumps on the one you have started (the 1990), clean tank etc.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Its a 91. Not a 90.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
I just noticed the bumpers. Dead giveaway.

Reactions: pantera928

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Its a 91. Not a 90.
That is what i thought too and is the reason I was asking for photos of the rear ends(of the cars)

·
Registered
1982 Spider
26 Posts
I am getting my brothers 83 running, it sat three years, got both pumps from Rockauto and the filter also the in tank pump will need a sock (soft filter) I bet you will need to pull the tank. I used Caswell sealer kit and did all the cleaning like they recommended. You will need to remove the gas filler hose also. The three hoses are different sizes and get some different color nail polish (drys fast is rock hard) to mark the three wires. Just put the tank back in today, going after the main pump and filter in the mourning.
I pulled the plugs and put Marvel Mystry Oil in each cylinder and let it soak over night, the hit the starter and watched a spark plug for spark, then put all four plugs back in.

The REQUIRED photo! LOL.
Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts