Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week, there were two 164Q's for sale on eBay at starting bids of $7500.00. Neither received a bid. I e-mailed the owner of one after the auction and he indicated that he want'ed at least $10K, which may be reasonable but outside my price range. I have e-mailed the second one today and have not yet received a reply as I would expect.

But why would two 164Q's on a national auction site not receive a single bid (Not even mine) at the asking price that is less than half of the reported appraised value. (In my case, I was going out of town, the car was a "want" not a "need", and I'm currently into checking current pricing rather than purchasing unless the price is extremely "right".)

But I am somewhat shocked that neither car received a single bid. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Unfortunately, like real estate, our cars are worth only what someone will pay for them.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
There are willing, interested, and able buyers for US-based 164Q cars. Not all of them now know it. When the fever strikes, they will search for the cars. When they find them, they will pay the necessary price.

There is little liquidity in these cars. I watched one pristine 164LS go begging for a buyer for about 9 months. The seller eventually connected with a buyer who appreciated the car and wanted it enough to pay the seller's asking price. Everyone left happy.

The reason the 164L/164S cars are priced affordable for me is that there are folks who don't want to wait to sell. There aren't enough mistreated Qs remaining on this side of the Atlantic to put a spread in the market price. The remaining ones all seem to be appreciated. This is apparently not the case in Europe.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Both were kinda of rough in one way or another. The black one will be reposted soon so he says. He wants at least $7500 for it but it got hit by a snow plow that is enough to scare even me away! The red one was ok but needed probably another $5k to make it nice. So that is why they probably did not sell.

If I had those Q's I could sell them for the asking price!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts