Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2.0 litre TwinSpark in my car (Noble Auriga Lotus 23b Replica) has lost spark in both systems under odd circumstances:

Back in September one of the twin ignition modules failed. I ordered a replacement (took 6 weeks), installed the new module, and the car started up and idled perfectly. The weather was poor, so I shut it down -- no drive time.

In December I had a nice day and decided to go on a drive. The engine sputtered but would not start. It acted like it had way too much spark advance: didn't want to crank. I ran the battery down and gave up. Charged the battery and left it.

Last week I decided to try starting it again. I gave it a shot of starting fluid down each of the Weber throats. It cranked over well but showed no sign of wanting to start. I wired up my timing light and it shows no spark on either of the #1 plugs.

I'm puzzled over what could deteriorate so badly in my ignition system while the car just sat in the garage. Could a fault in the replacement ignition module be causing a cascade of failure elsewhere?

Any suggestions on further diagnostics greatly appreciated.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, let me re-phrase the question:

What fails in the Twin Spark ignition system that would take down the whole system? I'm guessing the distributor electronics have gone away. Any other guesses before I go buy new guts for the dizzy?

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Could a fault in the replacement ignition module be causing a cascade of failure elsewhere?
Maybe, there is a common point inside the ECU.

What fails in the Twin Spark ignition system that would take down the whole system?
ECU, CAS, wiring.

And since it's a non standard TS (ie: carbs) it is very much going to depend on what is standard and what is non standard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.