Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
As I have said previously, I replaced my 1600 Nord motor with a TS Bosch 4.1 Motronic standard set up. The original motor produced 110BHP at 21MPG on lead replacement fuel. The TS produces about 150BHP at 34MPG on unleaded fuel. You can chat about figures & tuning all day long. Do you want to use it on the street? If so the TS with std EFI is a no brainer. Its smooth powerful & efficient. With the 2000 LSD it hits 120mph easily. Mine cost me £90.00 on e bay It has covered 56k miles from new & runs like a dream. If you want to go racing the alfaholics route is proven.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hear what you're all saying about the improved head design of the TS.
I know from experience tuning my nord engine that she likes to run a bit on the rich side below 3000 rpm, over that and its fine. Run her too lean and she kicks and bucks, especially on the rundown.
And there's no way you can get it run anywhere near stoichiometric mixes at idle, but I did notice some improvement in this when I went to multispark edis.

Still, I get 7.5L/100klm (37imp/32US) cruising at 110kph on the highway so its not too bad for a 2L. Obviously the TS with its better top end design would do even better.

If she were ever to throw a rod or something I think I'd have to consider a TS... or V6

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but thought I'd give it a try. Even though I have a freshly rebuilt Nord engine in my Alfetta GT, I'm not totally happy with it. Since I have a Twin Spark I'm toying with the idea of installing it, but to (hopefully) simplify the job, install the 40 DCOE's from the Alfetta. I would also get a Steck (or?) single distributor to replace the dual ones. I'm assuming the carbs might need rejetting, if so any suggestions? Yes, I know, most everyone goes with 45's but I'm trying to do this on a tight budget.

My first and perhaps most major hurdle is to see if I can get the TS installed without needing to cut the underside of the hood/bonnet. I'd start with seeing if the engine mounts can be lowered - or lowered enough - to achieve this. However, I am concerned this might upset the driveshaft.

After I got it running, I would then consider installing the Motronic system unless I'm happy with the carb arrangement. Question: This is really naive on my part, but how to those using carbs handle the ignition advance?

Biba

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have seen an alfetta GT 2000, with a nicely installed twin spark. No changes to the bonnet.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
rafael, thanks for replying. When you said GT 2000, was it the coupe? Did you by any chance specifically look at the center hood reinforcement, just where the front of the TS comes 'very close' to the hood? I don't suppose the owner made any comment about how he managed to lower the TS enough so that it didnt hit?

In any event, assuming it was the coupe, that is good news - meaning it is possible to do.

Biba

·
Registered
893 Posts
Biba,

Yes it was the coupe (alfetta GTV), european version with 2000 nord engine. Now it had the TS engine. It is in a garage near by. Next time I go there, I will ask about clearance issues (if any)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It seems that only two of us have had problems with the hood clearance. The other guy is named Clark. It's been a while since I've posted on that thread or this, so maybe he's cured the problem. I think it had to do with the engine mounts. I used new ones and when I was setting the engine down on them, I had a hard time lining the studs up with the holes. It seemed almost like the mounts were a little too tall, placing them further appart at the base. Maybe the holes that mount to the studs on the block can be reamed out so the engine can slide down in them a bit. That is if you were so unlucky as to have some mounts that were too tall.

I've made some exhaust changes to the Alfetta TS so now would be a good time to update the thread. I think all my complaints have been exhaust related. I had a guy completely redo my exhaust system. We got the new Euro downpipes from Centerline. We trimmed them up about 1/2" (1 cm) for ground clearance. We retained the front resonator that came with it. We put a straight through pipe inside the cat, so it looks like there is a cat. We went stainless steel 2" all the way back with a Maganflow center and rear; straight through mufflers.

The results are awesome. No hesitation anywhere in the rev range. My 'off the cluch' problem is gone. This is the performance I've been waiting for. My lesson to all who are doing the install is make sure your exhaust system is not clogged or restriced in any way.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
rafael, thanks for replying. If you do talk to the owner of the GT with the TS, please ask him if he had any clearance issues.

Stefano, I'm glad to hear you've finally worked out all of the bugs in your GT/TS. It sounds as if it is a Lot of Fun. Regarding the exhaust: Does the one for the Alfetta GT bolt right up, or is it absolutely necessary to shorten the downpipes I/2"? I have a NOS (Euro) front and center Ansa exhaust - though the rear Ansa section has quite a few miles on it. With the Nord, it tucks up pretty well. I might have mentioned it, but I had flanges welded on so that the three section all unbolt. I've already had it off once and will so again once I find time to install my transaxle with the lightened gears in the tranny. Sure saves time and the hassle of banging the sections apart.

I'm sure you researched out the TS install before going ahead with it. Did you ever consider carbs? I know diddly about electronics and feel if I can get the TS in fairly quickly, the 40 DCOE carbs might be the quickest way to get it up and running.

The engine mounts are the same for both the Alfetta and 75/TS aren't they? Thanks for the tip about reaming out the stud holes on the mounts. Where did you get yours? My fairly fresh ones came from Centerline. My thinking is to just plan on spending the time necessary to do an install of the TS, see if the hood closes, then go from there. I definitely want some extra room for the rocking of the engine - though assume the TS might not rock as much as the Nord.

If the 40 DCOE's will work - no offense - but then I can have a nice Euro air filter, rather than The Cone.

Biba

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The Euro downpipes bolt right up to the TS manifolds, as they do with the Euro Alfetta manifolds. My Euro downpipes have been bashed on the bottom for some time and when I saw that Centerline was now carrying them, I felt I had to replace them. And why not shorten them a tad just to prevent future bashing. Everyone says the Alfettas are notorious for bashing the downpipes. When I was playing arround with some Shankle headers years ago, they were always scraping. I had a guy shorten up the downpipes and tuck them nicely up and they never touched the ground. So I knew it was possible.

I never considered carbs. I tuned carbs briefly on my first car. I bought Pat Bradens Weber book the day it came out in the 80's and drooled over the pictures. Once I read the techical specs of Spica from Alfas tech letters to the EPA and from the Spica tech notes put together by AROC, I felt they needed to be preserved and would never even swap Spica for Webers. To tell you the truth, I briefly considered adapting Spica to the TS, but abandoned that idea shortly after. No, this engine is awesome with the stock EFI and the only thing I'll do with it in its stock form is swap out the AFM for a MAF and do some remapping of the air intake curve. Also, if you remember from the smog discussion, the carbs would never pass the visual. EFI I still think I can get the visual looking right. That is my next task now that the exhaust is fine and it's behaving very well.

Considering the engine mounts, mine were from Centerline or IAP I don't remember which. I think it's just the luck of the draw. Either they are a little taller, or they are stiffer and don't sink down as much. Who knows. Maybe they'll settle in and drop a little.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Stefano, thanks a lot for the info. I should have realized you wouldn't have considered carbs because of the smog issue. My fear of starting right out with the Motronic is if I have any problems at all with it, I'd have no idea where to start looking. If I can get the engine up and running, then that's at least a known. Do keep me/us informed about the MAF (not a clue what they are) and your remapping. Are you able to do the latter yourself or do you 'know someone'?

Biba

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Cowfy, Stefano is referring to the fact that in CA and I imagine most all other states a vehicle not only has to pass the emissions tests, but they check to see if all of the original 'smog' equipment is in place. In CA's case, this applies to '76 and later vehicles. The TS is especially tricky since they were never imported here, so Stefano has to retrofit all of the equipment that wasn't on the engine (etc.) in the first place.

My Alfetta GT is a '75, so I'm pretty much free to do what I want - short of turning it into a gross polluter. CA has sniffer's/cameras placed at strategic places to catch those vehicles.

Biba

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
i'm not from ca. what is the visual?
In California a car built in 1976 or newer require a smog inspection which includes a visual inspection. This is to see that there are not any illegal modifications done to alter the factory smog equipment. This includes engine swaps weather or not the newer engine is less of a polluter than the original.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Cowfy - here is an interesting read about smog, California, and twin sparks. Biba started it and I was involved as well.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/37675-ts-ca-smog-tests.html

Biba - here is a discussion about the AFM to MAF conversion. Essentially, the AFM used by Bosch has a flap door and a small air passage. Many people have been unhappy with this device and want to swap it out for a more free flowing device to measure air flow. The problem is the signal back to the computer needs to change somewhat, since each device maps the signal a different way. This signal mapping device was discoved by JJ (junglejustice) and I had been reading the website for a while too. We get into a dicussion on how it works. Craig of Alfa75 fame also contributes.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/eng...-mas-conversion-split-second-splitsecond.html

·
Registered
776 Posts
thanks biba and stefano i'll take my time and read that one.as to your assumption most other states may have a visual inspection.in new york city its still live and let live.however it can really anger you seeing all those school busses farting black deisel smoke whilst you drive behind them.as a former mechanic who worked in ny i can tell you its payoff.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This thread has been dead a while, since '08 it seems, but it was very interesting to read while I was going through my own TS conversion so I have decided to revive it. Seems the only way to find it was if you knew it existed (I might be blind and it was right there the whole time :eek: ). Maybe this will make it easier for others to find it and get inspired.

Mine is GTV2000 with a bunch of tweaks including the Twin Spark swap.

I drove an 85 graduate through high school. A 164L through some of college. And recently I had a 94 CE Spider. I am very familiar with Alfa's offerings and specifically what the stock Nord provides as a power plant.

I own several cars now including a 08 corvette and I am happy and proud to say the GTV-TS is my favorite of all of them.

My TS has had some motor work but is not one of the 200hp beasts out there. I still have more to do, cam and suspension mods specifically. Having said that I would recommend the swap to anyone that asks. Its cheaper than buying a new performance car and a hell of a lot more rewarding.

If you want to read about my journey follow the link in my signature.

Regards,

Miguel

Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm with Miguel on this one. After fitting the TS in my Giulia Super, i find the car even better to drive. The main thing is the torque available much earlier. Of course, with the upgrade to the power plant, the brakes and suspension also were upgraded.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 197 Posts