Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Martin
The holes is one on each camshaft picture 280 in the blank area besides the bearing overpart. Normally In the old cylinderhead the lubrication are coming from the lubrication of the bearings.
The question regarding the ignition was more a question to combine the signal for the 720° to only inject in the breading stroke, and not for every 360°, that demands a signal from either the camshaft ore in this case the distributer.
This keep on the other hand the retro look with distributor, the easy way would probably be to go for to coils with 4 outlet. (the easy way is not always the the funniest to go)
I have the blanking set from AH that is not the problem.
I put the link to the distributor in her Doppelzünder Verteiler für Alfa Romeo Twin Spark Motor Verteiler [DV1116] (aw-delta.com)

Bjarne

·
Registered
111 Posts
different engine setup here: 155 2 liter block (the one with piston cooling in the oil system), 90 mm crank, 85 bore, JE pistons matched to long old nord rods (K1 used) . 10.5 CR 75 TS head with tilted intake ports , short 48mm Jenvey ITB with DTA computer. custom made exhaust and airbox, last dyno 213 hp @ 7200 (over 200 from 6500-8000) and 225 nm torque (peak at 5500 but allready 200 at about 3500). Is my race engine but will hapily crawl up a tilted trailer without burning the clutch.
Hi Veep- may I ask what Cams you are running? Im back at [email protected] with 11.5 JEs on Carbs with unknown/std. cams and considering where to spend my next €...

otherwise nice discussion - of course its been done 100s of times, the difference between pedestrian power like me, and the above >200hp is in the detail and its great to read how different people have gone about it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Martin
The holes is one on each camshaft picture 280 in the blank area besides the bearing overpart. Normally In the old cylinderhead the lubrication are coming from the lubrication of the bearings.
The question regarding the ignition was more a question to combine the signal for the 720° to only inject in the breading stroke, and not for every 360°, that demands a signal from either the camshaft ore in this case the distributer.
This keep on the other hand the retro look with distributor, the easy way would probably be to go for to coils with 4 outlet. (the easy way is not always the the funniest to go)
I have the blanking set from AH that is not the problem.
I put the link to the distributor in her Doppelzünder Verteiler für Alfa Romeo Twin Spark Motor Verteiler [DV1116] (aw-delta.com)

Bjarne
Hi again Bjarn

Your cams are very different to mine (photo attached) almost looks like the bearing surface is extended out. I assume there is a lubrication hole inside the bearing, doesn't look quite right but I am not a cam expert.

Martin

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi Veep- may I ask what Cams you are running? Im back at [email protected] with 11.5 JEs on Carbs with unknown/std. cams and considering where to spend my next €...

otherwise nice discussion - of course its been done 100s of times, the difference between pedestrian power like me, and the above >200hp is in the detail and its great to read how different people have gone about it
This engine now has catcams. The 13.45 on intake , and a 12 mm lift exhaustside. Catcams has a setnumber for it. But this wont work fully unless good porting of the head, good exhaustmanifold etc.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi Martin and Walter
It's nice to see there's a good talk about TS conversion and experience. I might well miss a more telling thread than this one. After spending some winters getting the body back in place, and having started assembling that car after painting, the turn has come for the engine. The engine is a 75 tsp that I have cut together with parts from, Poul Spuell, Alfa Holic, Ferrea, Cat cams and more. I have two questions that I could use help with.
1. according to the picture there is a small hole in the middle bearing fit, it is for lubrication of the valve lifters, I was in doubt as I have not come across it before.
2. I bought an Omex 710 box, as I had a plan to go for full sequential injection, I am missing like everyone else a 720 ° signal, therefore know one of you someone who has used AW-delta´s distributor that could be use both as a engine position, but also for a distribution of the ignition, if I use the old ignition coil system. is there any of you there now if this Is a suitable way to go?
I add a couple of pictures of the engine.
I had seqeuntial injection, but we skipped that due to number of electric bugs which seemed to had relation with that sensor, interference in the system with the ignition timing ( DTA ecu).
After skipping it no loss of power on the dyno. (and gremlins gone..)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had seqeuntial injection, but we skipped that due to number of electric bugs which seemed to had relation with that sensor, interference in the system with the ignition timing ( DTA ecu).
After skipping it no loss of power on the dyno. (and gremlins gone..)
My understanding is there is little or no loss in power running semi sequential, perhaps not quite as clean?

·
Registered
111 Posts
This engine now has catcams. The 13.45 on intake , and a 12 mm lift exhaustside. Catcams has a setnumber for it. But this wont work fully unless good porting of the head, good exhaustmanifold etc.
Thats quite some cam - makes sense given your power. Was also looking at Cam Cams, but several sizes down (12.1 / 12.75mm Intake etc). Thx

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a TS build going for my GT Junior. It's a stock 75 TS and I plan to go with MaxSpeeding rods, probably JE pistons (11:1), Weber 45's, Alfaholics 3D mapped ignition and their blanking plates. Head will be ported. Any recommendations on camshafts? I have a 2L Nord in it now with an Alfaholics header, but I'll need a new one, right? Also figure I'll go with an electric fan and aluminum radiator while I'm at it. thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a TS build going for my GT Junior. It's a stock 75 TS and I plan to go with MaxSpeeding rods, probably JE pistons (11:1), Weber 45's, Alfaholics 3D mapped ignition and their blanking plates. Head will be ported. Any recommendations on camshafts? I have a 2L Nord in it now with an Alfaholics header, but I'll need a new one, right? Also figure I'll go with an electric fan and aluminum radiator while I'm at it. thanks
Yes, you'll need a new Header, but at least you could buy an Alfaholics one to fit to your existing Exhaust. They make certainly nice stuff but I wouldnt/didnt blindly go to them for everything. For example, my ignition is based on a NoDiz and is IMO a neater solution than the AH Kit at less than half the cost. I kept my original Radiator but had the filler neck shortend 25mm to clear a bolthead on the timing cover. Alu Radiator would be nice, but not a must. Cams? See above....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am also building a TS, the specs are:
85mm bore, 90mm stroke crank (1st series 155TS), CNC ported head with new special guides and replaced exhaust seats, Cams RJR 550/785, 11.8:1 Pistons, 157mm (Nord) MaxSpeeding rods, high capacity oil pump, GSXR 750 42mm ITB's, bespoke light flywheel, keyed lower timing gear with worm gear output for tacho.
I am planning on EFIgnition 46, Alfaholics exhaust, uprated injectors in either EV6/EV14, electronic ignition, Alu radiator with electronic fan, light weight alternator (which Amps should I use?).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also building a TS, the specs are:
85mm bore, 90mm stroke crank (1st series 155TS), CNC ported head with new special guides and replaced exhaust seats, Cams RJR 550/785, 11.8:1 Pistons, 157mm (Nord) MaxSpeeding rods, high capacity oil pump, GSXR 750 42mm ITB's, bespoke light flywheel, keyed lower timing gear with worm gear output for tacho.
I am planning on EFIgnition 46, Alfaholics exhaust, uprated injectors in either EV6/EV14, electronic ignition, Alu radiator with electronic fan, light weight alternator (which Amps should I use?).
Do you mean ignition amplifiers in which case I have used Bosch in the past and the latest kit from Alfaholics contains an unbranded one but looks the same. Used on a lot of european cars. I have the pin outs if its any help.

Martin

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you mean ignition amplifiers in which case I have used Bosch in the past and the latest kit from Alfaholics contains an unbranded one but looks the same. Used on a lot of european cars. I have the pin outs if its any help.

Martin View attachment 1669585
No, I am planning on using the EFIgnition 46 and using 2x Beru coil pack.

Any ideas about torquing the MaxSpeedingrods, i.e. stretch 0,0055-0,0060" method vs Torque 45lbs-ft for the ARP2000.
I unfortunately do not have the have stretch measuring tool...

What is the general consensus about torquing of:
Head bolts: 60lbs-ft cold&greased, then after first warm-up 65lbs-ft hot and after 1000miles released re-greased and re-torqued to 70lbs-ft one by one (75lbs-ft for race engines).
Main bearing caps: 36lbs-ft, with oil or should one use Loctite 243 (medium strength)?
Flywheel bolts: 83lbs-ft, with oil or should one use Loctite 243 (medium strength)?
Pal nuts for windage tray on main bearing caps: 8-9.4lbs-ft with oil

The very helpful Centerline torque chart is not clear about the different models, maybe because it is more US model (V6) oriented. The 2.0 8v motor of the Alfa 75 was also delivered in the 164 and 155 early models (pre-Fiat 16V engines), and the table mentions "164 all".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
No, I am planning on using the EFIgnition 46 and using 2x Beru coil pack.

Any ideas about torquing the MaxSpeedingrods, i.e. stretch 0,0055-0,0060" method vs Torque 45lbs-ft for the ARP2000.
I unfortunately do not have the have stretch measuring tool...

What is the general consensus about torquing of:
Head bolts: 60lbs-ft cold&greased, then after first warm-up 65lbs-ft hot and after 1000miles released re-greased and re-torqued to 70lbs-ft one by one (75lbs-ft for race engines).
Main bearing caps: 36lbs-ft, with oil or should one use Loctite 243 (medium strength)?
Flywheel bolts: 83lbs-ft, with oil or should one use Loctite 243 (medium strength)?
Pal nuts for windage tray on main bearing caps: 8-9.4lbs-ft with oil

The very helpful Centerline torque chart is not clear about the different models, maybe because it is more US model (V6) oriented. The 2.0 8v motor of the Alfa 75 was also delivered in the 164 and 155 early models (pre-Fiat 16V engines), and the table mentions "164 all".
The tool to measure the bolt torque is something you can do bye your self, if you have the dial gauge, i attach pictures of my homemade tool.
The torque and stretch do you find in a table, but first of all, you need to be sure the type of bolt you have, At least the bolts i got with the Carrillio rods was engraved on the top, and from the scheme you can se the stretch.
For the CARR bolts i tightened was there a good match between torque and stretch.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi

The tool to measure the bolt torque is something you can do bye your self, if you have the dial gauge, i attach pictures of my homemade tool.
The torque and stretch do you find in a table, but first of all, you need to be sure the type of bolt you have, At least the bolts i got with the Carrillio rods was engraved on the top, and from the scheme you can se the stretch.
For the CARR bolts i tightened was there a good match between torque and stretch.
I saw the same construction on ARP Stretch gauge tool at a steep price of $336!
Will see what I can do, should not be too hard to make.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts