Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Is anybody actually interested in how I'm doing this?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting this thread to get it out there, but I am in the process of turning a SPICA pedal into a Carburettor pedal. The pedals are the exact same with the exception of the arm at the end which usually holds the cable. For starters, here's reference pictures of both pedals so you can get an idea of the differences. The carb pedal has a shorter arm, mounted maybe about 160* to the other arm. I was able to guesstimate based on these pictures the measurements to create a pattern out of cardstock and cut out a piece of metal from [if my memory serves correct] 2mil steel plate. After I cut it out I drilled the holes out. My car is currently away at a place where I have access to a lift, but I can only get to the car on Mondays and Tuesdays (soon to be hopefully Wednesdays as well) so it will be a while before I can get pictures of what I did and what I've done so far. So here's pictures of a pedal on eBay I found a while ago (these were used mostly for scaling the new arm), and an exploded view I just found so one can see the difference in the arm. I was unable to find pictures of a SPICA pedal, but the difference should hopefully be quite apparent.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Forgot I took some progress shots a while ago on my Instagram. A bit of it is just cleaning up the factory welds. There was all sorts of spatter and such on mine, so I took the libery of cleaning it. Anyways, start by taking down the factory welds on the cable arm. I used a combination of files and grinding bits on my dremel to do so. I got it so the welds were just about paper thin then went from the back side of the arm and used a hammer to bend and eventually snap the welds, thus removing the arm. While I was at it, I figured I'd cut off the arm for the hand throttle, as I won't be using that anymore. After all that you can file everything flat and clean it up a bit if you so desire.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Making the Arm Pattern: One (Baseline measurements off of memory)

Time for the slightly challenging bit, especially without the pattern or the almost finished piece on hand for accurate measurements. If I recall correctly, I got the arm at 7 inches in length and an inch and some change for width (whatever the factory SPICA arm's width is). I don't know if I took a measurement for where the bends start, but I know they appear to have to be about 35*-40*. Again, more legitimate measurements will be in once I get back and look at the pedal again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts