Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my combo switch today. Since I have it out for adjustment I was wondering if there is any way I can tighten my turn signal stock. I can pull it forward about 1.5 cm ish. Can I tighten it down at all. Also is it normal for the turn signal idicator to flash once when I use the turn signal or should it continue to flash.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
I was wondering if there is any way I can tighten my turn signal stock. .... Can I tighten it down at all.
No, not really.

Also is it normal for the turn signal idicator to flash once when I use the turn signal or should it continue to flash.
What year spider are you working on? Does you Alfa have one turn signal indicator light or two (e.g., a L and a R)? When the indicator flashes only once, I assume the outside lights continue flashing as long as the switch is on. If just one indicator, this problem has nothing to do with the switch. It's caused by the wattage of the bulbs not properly matched to the flasher. Electronic flashers can solve a host of problems, including this one.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year spider are you working on? Does you Alfa have one turn signal indicator light or two (e.g., a L and a R)? When the indicator flashes only once, I assume the outside lights continue flashing as long as the switch is on. If just one indicator, this problem has nothing to do with the switch. It's caused by the wattage of the bulbs not properly matched to the flasher. Electronic flashers can solve a host of problems, including this one.
[/QUOTE]
Its a single indicator and yes the outside signal continues to flash and the clicker continues to click so it makes perfect sense that it doesn't continue to flash because the flasher units been replaced with a bosch one. I'll try swapping out the bulb for a lower wattage one and see if anything changes.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
the flasher units been replaced with a bosch one. I'll try swapping out the bulb for a lower wattage one and see if anything changes.
You'll try swapping the indicator bulb or external bulbs for ones with a different wattage? Not sure I could tell you which ones to change, or whether to go up or down in wattage. I would keep the bulbs and change the flasher, but that's just my opinion.

The symptom you describe is pretty common in the world of BMW 2002's and e9's. As the mechanical flashers age, they begin to exhibit this symptom: external bulbs behave OK, while the indicator flashes just once. I just put an electronic flasher in my BMW e9 to solve this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts