Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn signal switch does not return due to the spring coming loose. I have the cover off and I am not sure if the spring goes around the steering column or how it goes. I see the two places where it attaches to the switch. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
995 Posts
Strangely, that's not how mine is strung. At least, that's not how I remember it being strung. Imagine an infinity symbol. Now, cut the left side loop exactly in half, top-to-bottom. The steering column goes through the right hand loop, and the left side is where it attaches to the turn signal.

It's such a generic bit of kit, it doesn't surprise me there's more than one way to do it that works.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
11 years old thread!
The turn signals on our 1985 Graduate cancel about 10% of the time. Does the spring shown above do the work? Perhaps the spring on ours has lost tension?
your 85 will have the later type, so quite different, no such spring.
the cancelling mechanism on your column stalk uses a plastic cam, like here (photo thanks to Eric/ghnl)....that might have worn, or perhaps just needs a clean and re-lubrication.
Auto part Electronics Technology Engine Automotive engine part

a couple of good 'how-to' threads on the later combi switch
Combination Switch clean/lube
and
Inside the Combination Switch - Exterior Light

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
After cleaning and re-lubricating the combo switch in my '88, the turn signal switch only cancelled about half of the time, and the problem seemed worse on left hand turns. I removed the steering wheel and noticed my overzealous lubrication during the switch cleaning had left plenty of grease on the little clear plastic or vinyl roller wheels that ride on the steering column. I removed as much of that excess grease as I could with Q-Tips and reinstalled the steering wheel. The cancel function of the turn signal switch was greatly improved, but still not 100%. Only after completely removing the combo switch, carefully cleaning the roller wheel and steering column surfaces with soap and water, and re-assembling, did my turn signal switch begin cancelling all of the time again.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
thanks for the tip, was the dis assembly - repair - re assembly straightforward?
Yes. I just followed Jay Hunt's writeup here:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.