Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some instructions on the procedure to remove & replace the stalk switch. The one in the car will not allow the high beam position to be selected. When the stalk is rotated, only the low beams can be selected and then only at some intermediate point in the rotation. I have another switch which tests out ok but dont see how to make the swap. Does the steering column have to be lowered? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks - Knick

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Stalk switch

I assume the 85 is similar to the 81 that I am parting out... same stalk assembly.
Have you have taken off the shroud?
The assembly is held in by two flathead machine screws and nuts.. you can see them top left and bottom right in the pic below

They are behind the steering wheel, its a pain, but you will have to remove the steering wheel to slide the assembly off.
That can be difficult, you will need a steering wheel puller.
It threads into the 2 holes on the wheel... then get it as tight as you dare.... and give the wheel a good sharp/but careful tap.. watch out cos the 3 times I did this it came off with a bang!
Make sure you use a block under the steering shaft which is hollow and easily mushroomed over... ask me how I know...:(

It was not me though.
Look how they pulled the threads out of the wheel trying to get it off!:eek:
Hope this will help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
key way

When I yanked the steering wheel off my '84 there was an alignment key that took off like a rocket. There was a small spring pushing it against the steering wheel. After 2 hours with a magnet, I finally found it. If your '85 is the same, once the steering wheel breaks free, cup your hand around the shaft to catch the little piece. When reinstalling, a pair of vice grips helps hold the keyway in place while you work with the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Key

Yep, they all have them...
None of my 3 came off tho, I guess I was lucky!
Oh, BTW, because the threads were shot, I had to use a 3 leg puller to get that wheel off.
I had to grind the 3 legs slightly to get them to fit properly, and boy did it let go with a BANG!
Then I had to go in with a lever and bit by bit bend the mushroomed section in again to actually get the wheel off!
Fun Fun Fun!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. No I haven't. taken the upper shroud off yet. I haven't. been able to see how it is attached. The lower half was held on by only one of the 4 screws. My guess is that the PO tried to fix the panel dimmer rheostat and broke it (or it was already gutted). In any case I need to install the replacement stalk switch or install some sort of independent switch and relays to get high beams. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts