Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 1974 GTV 2000 arrived today. Great car ! However, when parked and the ignition is off, the relay for the turn signal does intermittent clicking. It will start, then stop for a while, then start again. The turn signal stalk is in neutral position. Lights do not flash. Any thoughts ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
Wow, that's an odd one. My first question would be whether your car still has the original-type "mechanical" flasher unit, or the more modern "electronic" unit. The writing on the flasher should tell you. The electronic units require less current to fire, so a small short could cause one to click. But with enough of a short (e.g., a low-resistance short) even the mechanical units would fire. The problem is where that short might be located. With both the column lever and emergency flasher button both in the "off" position, there isn't a lot of wiring between the flasher and those two switches. You might try getting out your voltmeter and doing some testing.

A second cause might be a bad flasher unit. How do your turn signals and flashers operate when you move the lever or push in the button? Are all lights equally bright? Similarly, are you sure they aren't glowing a bit when the flasher fires on its own? Looking at the bare bulbs in a dark place may show some dim flashing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's an odd one. My first question would be whether your car still has the original-type "mechanical" flasher unit, or the more modern "electronic" unit. The writing on the flasher should tell you. The electronic units require less current to fire, so a small short could cause one to click. But with enough of a short (e.g., a low-resistance short) even the mechanical units would fire. The problem is where that short might be located. With both the column lever and emergency flasher button both in the "off" position, there isn't a lot of wiring between the flasher and those two switches. You might try getting out your voltmeter and doing some testing.

A second cause might be a bad flasher unit. How do your turn signals and flashers operate when you move the lever or push in the button? Are all lights equally bright? Similarly, are you sure they aren't glowing a bit when the flasher fires on its own? Looking at the bare bulbs in a dark place may show some dim flashing.
Good thoughts and ideas - thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
Some more thoughts:

- The flasher relay powers two different circuits: the turn signals and the emergency flashers. If possible, it would be good to separate the two to figure out which one is creating the problem. I'm not exactly sure where the wiring splits to send flashed power to the column switch (turn signals) and red button (emergency), but if you could find that point, and disconnect each in turn, you might narrow your search. My guess is that the emergency flasher button is the culprit.

- Are you sure it is the turn signal relay that you are hearing? If you put your hand on the relay, can you feel a pulse as it fires (this will only work if it's the mechanical style)? Or set your meter to "amps" and see if you can detect current going into the flasher as it pulses.

- A brute-force diagnostic would be to just replace the flasher - they're cheap. If the existing one is electronic, try a mechanical. The earlier, mechanical flashers will tolerate more leakage without firing. But, your battery would still be draining.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so today everything works just fine. Here is what I think happened...When the transporter delivered the car from Taos New Mexico it was raining here in CT. Probably the first time it has seen rain in may years. When I tried the turn signals the rears would work, but not the fronts. Thats night when I went to the garage I heard the clicking from the relay. It would stop when I removed the dual red wires from the relay...

Today everything works fine, including the front turn signals - and no clicking...So seems water must have caused a short, probably at one of the front turn signals. I'll have to track that down. Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
Today everything works fine, including the front turn signals - and no clicking...So seems water must have caused a short, probably at one of the front turn signals. I'll have to track that down.
I'll agree that moisture was probably the cause of your odd symptoms. But some sort of a short at the front turn signals wouldn't have caused the flasher relay to fire with the TS and emergency flasher switches in the "off" position. When the switches are off, the perimeter bulbs are out of the circuit.

When I tried the turn signals the rears would work, but not the fronts.
That may be a separate problem from "flash in the garage with switches set to off". It's also sort of odd that both your front signals failed - and then healed - at the same time, since they have completely separate wiring. But all you can do is check if it happens again the next time the car is wet. It's tough to troubleshoot a problem when it isn't happening.

Enjoy your new baby!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts