Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my 86 Spider the turn signals wouldn't work. If I hit a bump, the hazards would go on, I would have to flip the lever up and down to stop it. I unplugged the flasher from the fuse panel as I didn't want the hazards to flash every bump. The turn signals would never work. I figured the flasher itself might be bad and since that the most simple and cheap fix, I replaced it. I still do not have turn signals. I haven't hit any large bumps yet to see if the hazards kick on again, so far that is good.

Anyone have an idea what this issue would be?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Others will weigh in for sure, but the flashing aspect sounds like an errant ground. Replacing the flasher was a good call, but did not fix your problem. You need to check the ground at the fuse block, and for the turn indicators as well. Also check where the wiring for the flasher goes into the panel in the back to insure a good contact.

Dean

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
447 Posts
I had trouble with my turn signals a while back and it turned out to be a ground wire at the signal in back.
As most will tell you, check your ground connections.
Good luck.
Jim

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,
Start with the grounds...
If they are fine, check the input of the flasher, does it get 12v when you move the hundle?
(I had a problem with the handle itself)
Saar

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the ground tomorrow. Where is the ground located for the turn signal or is it for the whole fuse panel? Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram?

·
Administrator
17,509 Posts
The best wire diagrams are obtained from BB member PapaJam. Send him a PM request (include your email address and let him know which model Spider you are dealing with) and prepare to be amazed. (PapaJam does not charge for these diagrams but he might suggest a BB donation/subscription - I think you'll agree that is a Good Idea.)

If you decide to get inside the combination switch to clean & lube the turn signal switch itself, click here: Combination Switch Clean & Lube

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks guys. I have the day off so I will see what I can come up with. The only thing that might be a hindrance is there was an alarm system installed and of course, it adds to the rats nest of wires above the fuse panel. One of the not so distant future projects is to remove this alarm and everything that goes with it. I think they are a waste of time and problem makers down the road.

I shale report my findings later today.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Please be aware if your 1986 Spider is a USA version, the wiring will be different from the 1984 European version diagram I sent to Saar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts