Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how to fix this? I don't think more epoxy would work. Thanks.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,623 Posts
Looks like it was epoxied previously.

Maybe some sort of a rod could be inserted into the lever & switch to act as a splint, and the whole mess epoxied.

The right solution would be a new switch. See: https://centerlinealfa.com/store/1270 But since these cost $289, I might try the splint & epoxy thing first!



That's one sharp looking Giulietta!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Hi Len,

That epoxy looks as if it might be the "5 minute" type- which due to its short cure time is actually quite weak and flexible. If you can remove it, clean the joining surfaces with acetone, scuff the chrome surface of the lever with sandpaper to increase the surface area, and try a harder, more durable structural epoxy like PC7 or similar. You might be able to save the part, and the $$!

Best,

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Len,

That epoxy looks as if it might be the "5 minute" type- which due to its short cure time is actually quite weak and flexible. If you can remove it, clean the joining surfaces with acetone, scuff the chrome surface of the lever with sandpaper to increase the surface area, and try a harder, more durable structural epoxy like PC7 or similar. You might be able to save the part, and the $$!

Best,

Tony
Thanks Tony. I'll try that out first and if that doesn't work, then I'll order the new part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I repaired mine by using slow cure epoxy and sliding a brass sleeve (common local hardware item)over the lever and the broken plastic. It's probably stronger to bending stresses than it was when it left the factory.

Kevin Murray
Schaumburg, IL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Remove it and repair with JB Weld. Then dab it with a little black paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Repaired

Just wanted to post a follow-up on what I did. I ended up taking off the steering wheel and removing the turning apparatus. I cut a small piece of 3/8" PVC tubing, which fit perfectly over the signal bar and connector piece. I used JB Weld and painted everything with a crackle-black paint (I had some sitting around from sprucing up the patio furniture). Lastly, I cleaned and smoothed the contact points on the turning mechanism and liberally applied dielectric grease. I must say, the turn signals are activated so smoothly and effortlessly, it's awesome! Thanks to everyone for their wonderful help.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,754 Posts
Just wanted to post a follow-up on what I did. I ended up taking off the steering wheel and removing the turning apparatus. I cut a small piece of 3/8" PVC tubing, which fit perfectly over the signal bar and connector piece. I used JB Weld and painted everything with a crackle-black paint (I had some sitting around from sprucing up the patio furniture). Lastly, I cleaned and smoothed the contact points on the turning mechanism and liberally applied dielectric grease. I must say, the turn signals are activated so smoothly and effortlessly, it's awesome! Thanks to everyone for their wonderful help.
Congrats.. been scratching my head wondering how a DDS lost his way with epoxy.. I have a mouth full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,539 Posts
Dottore in Odontoiatria
Kudos for your clean repair, well done !
And a second thanks for posting pics and sharing your success.

Take note of the condition of that tension spring .. it's a common item for wear and failure. Always good to have a spare.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top