Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1973 Berlina's brake and turn signal lights stopped working. When I put on the turn signal switch, I hear the flasher clicking and the head light indicator light flashes, but no turn signals lights.
I'm thinking this may be a ground problem.
Where do I start looking?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Did you have any repairs, cleans, on the turn signal or head lights switches on the steering column? Check again the connected wires there

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got at the light problem this afternoon. Bad ground on rear lights.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Glad you did it! Just in case, I cleared the ground contacts and even welded again (at the back of the tail light), I made a new ground wire, made also a multiground plate for all the rear grounds on the chassis side. Moreover, I used relays for the rear signals, like the headlights. I use special silicon wires every where with new connectors.I was lucky since I found new the original connectors (photo). Since I'm still on the project ( Berlina 2000, '74), I didn't put the tail lights, headlights, etc back to the car, I tested them all at the bench. Well, the final results were just super. Clear and bright lights! I had for comparison other sets, in very good condition but unmodified. The upgraded lights sign like a modern car do, maybe better. My Berlina has Carellos but I guess the same will be with Altissimo, too. As for the tail lights, after took of the lenses, the main front body rarely seems bad at all. But, the whole thing I guess is suffering from a "darkness".I tried a trick: I cut pieces from alu foil (self contacted) gave them the proper sizes and stick them carefully, where might need a miror like surface. After that, the tail lights converted to a really bright monsters.I'm not talking for something like "kits".No, I'm talking for really nice and good lights

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! Thanks. Where did you get those connectors?
One of my backup bulbs is rusted in the socket, I can't get it out. I'll look for a new socket and replace it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
As an electrician engineer, the most easy part of restoring for me is the car's electrical parts. But, I was always tryed to find the original connectors, especially the fronts, since the rears were (almost) always in perfect condition. The connectors to be honest, are not of the highest quality,but as you know some times we want originality. As for the wires, we are not raise an originality issue, since what else we can do to really bad wires?Puting back the same scrap? Of cource not. Thus, I wanted the best wires with the original plugs. I looked everywhere but nobody has the conectors, seems they are one of the most rare parts of AR cars.And...all of a sudden, in a shop in Cyprus my eyes caught them in an uncovered box! Both for the headlight and the bigger for the tail lights. Male and female. I cant recall the brand sign on the bag, it was Italian and the guy told me (without asked him first) that AR used to take from that brand some decades ago. Dont ask me...I bought them!
As for the rusty bulb, crack it with care, take away all the glass parts, spray some WD40 and wait some time. Then take a plyer and swing the bulb's remaining metal part ( dont worry the socket is very strong) and you will have it out in a while.
There is also something more to consider. Modern cars give to any light two wires, hot(+) and ground(-).Old cars like old ARs, usually give only the hot and take the ground from the near chassis. This situation is the most common problem with old AR's wirings. The best way is to keep the normal way of grounding and to use extra black ground wires from the screws, or nuts ( from the lights side )dedicated for grounding to the chassis, all the way through a common small ground plate where all the other grounds must be connected. And then, use a good and proper black wire from that plate (the plate itself also must be ground) to the factory ground wire coming from the front (speaking for the tail lights), or better straight to the negative pole of the battery. It is not difficult. For all the car's wiring needs three main new black grounds. One for the rear, one for the dash and one for the headlights, turn lights and flashers. As for the rear ground, you can have grounded except the tail lights, the gas tank and the licence's plate lights.
There is also another nice trick: While there is always a flat ground wire near and under the starter to the near chassis, it is wise to have a new ground from there all the way to the negative pole of the battery and a ground wire from the big Altenator's bolt again to the negative pole! All of the aboves, work and make a great sense. Finally, with this all super grounding system the chassis while is there for just in case, will be out of the equation...

·
Registered
554 Posts
As for replacing the socket, forget it. Try to pull out the bulb and then it will be easy to clean the socket some way. The problem with those tail lights, Altissimo or Carrelo, is that are so rare these days.

·
Registered
554 Posts
As an electrician engineer, the most easy part of restoring for me is the car's electrical parts. But, I was always tryed to find the original connectors, especially the fronts, since the rears were (almost) always in perfect condition. The connectors to be honest, are not of the highest quality,but as you know some times we want originality. As for the wires, we are not raise an originality issue, since what else we can do to really bad wires?Puting back the same scrap? Of cource not. Thus, I wanted the best wires with the original plugs. I looked everywhere but nobody has the conectors, seems they are one of the most rare parts of AR cars.And...all of a sudden, in a shop in Cyprus my eyes caught them in an uncovered box! Both for the headlight and the bigger for the tail lights. Male and female. I cant recall the brand sign on the bag, it was Italian and the guy told me (without asked him first) that AR used to take from that brand some decades ago. Dont ask me...I bought them!
As for the rusty bulb, crack it with care, take away all the glass parts, spray some WD40 and wait some time. Then take a plyer and swing the bulb's remaining metal part ( dont worry the socket is very strong) and you will have it out in a while.
There is also something more to consider. Modern cars give to any light two wires, hot(+) and ground(-).Old cars like old ARs, usually give only the hot and take the ground from the near chassis. This situation is the most common problem with old AR's wirings. The best way is to keep the normal way of grounding and to use extra black ground wires from the screws, or nuts ( from the lights side )dedicated for grounding to the chassis, all the way through a common small ground plate where all the other grounds must be connected. And then, use a good and proper black wire from that plate (the plate itself also must be ground) to the factory ground wire coming from the front (speaking for the tail lights), or better straight to the negative pole of the battery. It is not difficult. For all the car's wiring needs three main new black grounds. One for the rear, one for the dash and one for the headlights, turn lights and flashers. As for the rear ground, you can have grounded except the tail lights, the gas tank and the licence's plate lights.
There is also another nice trick: While there is always a flat ground wire near and under the starter to the near chassis, it is wise to have a new ground from there all the way to the negative pole of the battery and a ground wire from the big Altenator's bolt again to the negative pole! All of the aboves, work and make a great sense. Finally, with this all super grounding system the chassis while is there for just in case, will be out of the equation...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts