Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if GIULIAs or 105s had the auto turn lights feature when the main steering lights switch was new (eg, you set the turn light for the left and when you turn the steering wheel for the right the whole thing recovers by itself the nutral position).

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I believe the Giulia sedan was identical to the Duetto, so YES.

It is accomplished by a long thin spring that loops around the steering shaft and each end is attached to the turn-signal switch.

As the wheel is turned the spring pulls left/right to cancel the turn-signal.

If the spring is too tight it will actually activate the turn signal when you don't need it. Too loose or broken spring and the cancel function doesn't work.

This photo is of my Duetto, but I'm sure the sedan is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! While I just finished column switch restoration (I will apply it soon here) I'm a bit confused on this topic. From my attached photo you can see a tube over the axle (it can spins against axle) and spring was over this tube. In your photo seems that tube is mising, M' right? Perhaps the spring needs to stay only over the axle ( logical) and the tube must positioned further in just to control the spring in place?

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manuals are not provide to me the right detail for where the small and long spring exactly sits. Tried to have it only around axle, yes, auto turn works but with some "hrits hrats" when spring extens. When it is over the tube, it has nice feel and not any noise, too, but not auto turn.
When I took away the switch I took photos and the spring was over and round this tube. Should I think I'm a victim of PO faulty practices? The tube looks that might be freely turns around the steering axle. It has in one side a lip. The lip was pointed to the driver. Was that ok? Why not points in reverse? Furthermore, suppose I glue the tube with the axle, thus having the auto turn feature, what then the use of the tube ? Funny...Finally thats why I like this hobby(?)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The sleeve is just fine and is installed correctly. The spring, however, needs to make a full 360 degree loop around the sleeve to have the correct tension. If you have two springs they were probably originally linked in series to make one long one. I think some people (even vendors) made up replacements from a pair of shorter springs when the longer original spring became hard to source. I think the originals are available once more but I'm not sure of that. If the springs have been overstretched they won't work right. I think they're also supposed to have just a tiny dab of grease on them as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spring had and has the proper 360 degree of loop and there isn't formed from two other smallest springs. In addition the tension is pretty much correct. The issue here is why the spring alone (without the sleeve) makes the system behaving right while with the sleeve not...
From the results I saw, finally I still not understand the use of this sleeve! Ok. Must be an answer: Works without?then, don't use it and give us a peace in mind!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts