Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a 1 5/8" drive and I'm having trouble getting the AC pulley off anyway. Frozen like a mofo.
I read on the Spider boards that their technique for rotating to TDC is to have one person watch the marker on the pulley while another person turns a rear wheel with the car (on stands of course) in 4th gear. With our wonky driveshaft, is that an acceptable procedure or should I continue trying to turn it at the pulley?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Are you sure you can't get a properly sized socket on the crank without removing that pulley? It seems like it'd be easiest to buy the right socket and try. It's handy and it's only $5 or so and it can save some real hassle.

If you can't or won't do that, you can easily rotate the engine via the driveshaft bolts under the car (19mm). Clockwise. You can almost do it by hand on the driveshaft if the plugs are out.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking at the photo I took, it seems like there not enough space between the nut and the inner wall of the pulley to get a big socket in there. But then I also noticed the timing markers are on the pulley... There's not a good description of the process in the shop manual and I can't seem to find any instruction online, so I just assumed to get access to the nut you'd have to take off the AC pulley. That's not the case? Do they make a thin-walled monster socket?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I don't have a 1 5/8" drive and I'm having trouble getting the AC pulley off anyway. Frozen like a mofo.
I read on the Spider boards that their technique for rotating to TDC is to have one person watch the marker on the pulley while another person turns a rear wheel with the car (on stands of course) in 4th gear. With our wonky driveshaft, is that an acceptable procedure or should I continue trying to turn it at the pulley?
Yes, you certainly can do it this way, but there's a lot of mass that gets moving along with it, which is enough to bend a valve in an improperly timed engine (ask me how I know), so you don't have the sensitive feel for any obstruction. Fwiw I used a standard socket on mine and it worked fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts