Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO purchased a set of 15 inch Phone Dials (he liked the look) which I left on the car. I did receive the original 14 inch Turbinas. Both sets of rims are in good shape.

I'm starting to look for 14 inch tires for another car and it got me thinking. I hear about how heavy the Phone Dials are. Would I be better off getting a new set of tires for the Turbinas and putting them back on?

And I've tried to find the information, but just what is the weight difference?

FWIW, it's primarily my wife's car, so we're just talking street driving.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,071 Posts
Phonedials are about 22 lb each. That's 7 lb more than the steel wheels, no idea on the turbinas. Having done both the lighter wheels definitely ride much better due to the lower weight and taller sidewall. You can get better tires for the phonedials, though, and with stickier tires and the shorter sidewall it feels (to me, at least) like they give better lateral grip.

For a street car it's probably splitting hairs - go with what you like the looks of.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I agree with Gubi.....it won't really matter on a street car.
I think the phone dials are better looking then the Turbinas, but what do I know!? :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Turbinas are much lighter, just under 13 lbs. Additionally, some owners are of the opinion/experience that phonedials are prone to cracking. I have no experience with phonedials and you may want to do a search to draw your own conclusions. As to the looks, Turbinas have really grown on me over the years. A pain to keep clean though.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Please forgive me if this is considered high jacking, but how much does a cromodora weigh?
If you're talking about the 5-star Daytonas, one thread listed them as 12 lbs. The later 5-star "Daytona-like" wheels that Alfa put on 80's Spiders were a good bit heavier, I believe. The Cromodora Turbinas are as Jason listed.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You can save abvout 20# and get more trunk space if you buy a Ford Focus em spare 15inch. The cost at a wrecker yard is about$15.. I know they bolt on direct to the front hubs, but you need a set of "steel wheel" wheel nuts same thread as Honda.

Phonedials are good wheels and give you far more tire choice, cause they are 15".

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I've been wondering about this for a while. As I said, I heard they were heavy, but never found concrete information as to their weight. 14" tires, even 15" tires in vintage sized can be hard to find, but the Alfa-recommended 185x70x14s are out there.

Frankly, I'm a bit stunned by 22 lbs. I'v never taken the wheels off, so I've never lifted one. I've carried the Turbinas around, the 13 lbs seems reasonable. I also like the look. But it seems like a heavy wheel for a 2500 lb car. And while you'd trade off some handling, my wife would probably appreciate the better ride, as Gubi noted.

As a point of reference, my original search for tires is to fit 14x5.5 Fuchs (Porsche supplied this wheel as part of a "Comfort" option package) and 15x5.5 chromed steelies on an early 911. Tires have plenty of tread, but I worry about the age of the tires. I'd never put the chromed steelies on for a longer road trip...they're old Michelin XZXs I bought in 1993! The tires on the 14" Fuchs and both sets of wheels for the Alfa...they were all bought by POs and, well, I really don't know how old they are or how they were stored and maintained before I got them. Thus the thoughts about replacement.

If you want to talk weight, there's my friend who has a set of magnesium Mahle "Gas Burners" on his 914--9.5 lbs each for a 15x5.5 wheel...now that's light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts