Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one of these returned as a core from a customer to whom I had sold a split case. Id like to use it but I have not found where I can get parts for it. Any leads would be appreciated. TIA
regards
Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking for tunnel case transmission parts? If so which parts?
Reed
thanks for the reply, synchronizers and seals at this point, I have not examined the bearings yet, at a glance they appear to be standard, but I could be wrong.
Doug

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bearings and seals are available from any bearing supplier. Gaskets can be made up. Synchros and not available. Might have some good used ones. Check yours. Mim clearance is 20th. New clearence is 60 th. 40 to 45 th. Is acceptable. 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th synchros can be reversed. Put the best ones in 3rd and 2nd.

These are not easy rebuilds. I've done them for 30 yrs. Mim time for me is 20 hrs.

Heres a pic of my recent rebuild.

Reed

Major problem areas, sunchros, output shafts, hubs and forks and of course gear sets. I now reject one out of two as rebuildable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,845 Posts
RW is right about the time. It takes at least 20 hrs to do one of these right.

I also had the joy of doing one twice. Because the last run of synchro's were made incorrectly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20 hours sheesh. I spent that redoing a porche 968 6 speed, this looks so much simpler, but not having done it, Ill have to take your word for it. Now Im curious. I really appreciate your input. How many cars are out there still running which have these transmissions? Cannot be many.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The switch over to the split case occured in late 1958 for the 1959 model. According to Greig, approx 45000 tunnel cases were made and only for the 750 series. Many 750s were converted to the later split case (difficult task) and are now being changed back to tunnel case. In the last 3 or 4 yrs I've done 4 tunnel cases.

Biggest problem is parts. Many have come in for restoration and possible retrofit in a 750 series. But long time storage without oil has left the gear set totally rusted and as such not a candidate for restoration. If the box is out of a sprint or spider veloce in all likelihood it's totally clapped out. Not only are synchros worn, I've seen broken output shafts.

If you have done a split case before, I would say a tunnel case is a 10 fold increase in difficulty. Dont let its size fool you, these are difficult boxes to work on. In the factory service manual, there is a list of special tools for this. I've never seen one. A work around has to be done to do this correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,845 Posts
Here are the tools the factory says you need to rebuild the gearbox. Which is about triple the special tools the factory says you need for the split case gearboxes.

There are 2 or 3 that would make life very easy when rebuilding these. To make go really quickly. You would need close to half of them. I have a couple of the T handled wrenches but that it.

The rest you have to figure out how to work around not having them. An example would be installing the shaft assemblies. They have to be pressed into the case together. Same with taking them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts