Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just finished reassembling a tunnel case 4 speed on '57 750. Somehow I seem to have done something foolish and have an extra piece that I don't remember where it came from and can't find in the manual or parts lists that I have. Can anyone identify this? Gearbox went back together fine and turns/shifts easy. I don't see how I missed something like this that belongs in the gearbox but would like to know where it goes before it goes back in the car.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its much bigger than the propshaft bushing (though the same shape) Any chance it goes in the release bearing? I don't remember removing it from here and the parts catalog/repair manual and replacement bearings I can find don't show it here but it fits

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
That looks like the first gear bush - Item #12, part number 1365.16.005 for the 38mm bush or 1365.16.061 for the 36mm bush - yours should be the latter

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Great minds Uncle - at least our new member has has the good sense to ask the question before fitting & running the box.... we all know what tunnel case rebuilds cost

JM - that'll have to come apart again... sorry

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
226 Posts
JM,

I'm surprised it turns and shifts smoothly. That is a critical part. It separates the intermediate bearing and the 1st/2nd synchro hub from first. Also, the gear bushing rides on this part. Make sure this not a spare that came with your parts. Take the bottom cover off and inspect the gears. They should perfectly match up with their counter parts on the layshaft. If they do not and you have torqued the rear yoke in place, then you have definitely left this part out.

Reed

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
A heads up on the synchro's. If you got new ones within in the last year. There probably bad. The last production run was made incorrectly. It will feel fine on the bench. But will not shift well once its on the road and does not get better with miles put it on it.

I'm having to go back into a customers gearbox and replace the new synchro's with good used ones.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also, since you are new to the forum and possibly alfa 750s, you must use GL 1 gear oil. GL4 and GL5 will not work.

Go to Tractor Supply and purchase Ford Tractor gear oil. It's a 2 gal jug of GL 1. Approximately $20.

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Jim can you send me one of the defective synchros. Would like to compare it to one of my NOS ones.

Reed
I would but Classic Alfa is going stand behind them and refunded the purchase price plus shipping. Even though they were installed and not there fault. There doing this because the manufacturer will not admit anything is wrong with them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Understand, just trying to determine what went wrong with this latest batch. Prior to this the repops seemed acceptable.

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Larry Jr. has or had a set of the latest ones. While I was talking to him on the phone. He was messing with one and a gear. One of the conclusions he came to was that the machining through the center was crooked because it would wobble side to side. You might want to give him a call.

I agree about the previous run being good.

I built 2 of these about 3 months apart. For the first one. I had to buy from 1 Classic Alfa ( which was all they had ) and other 3 from 2 different places in Germany to get a full set. They worked great. The second set all came from Classic Alfa and thats the one I have to redo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts