Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 1956 Fiat 1100 TV saloon and I'm looking to improve the engine (5 port).

I'm fitting a performance exhaust made to measure and now my doubt is either keeping the original two-barrel Weber 36 or fit the stanguellini formula junior manifold with 2 weber 32's (i don't think its dimensions will allow 34 or 36).

Does anybody has experience in tuning this engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have been playing around with Fiat 1100s and 1100 based specials for many years now. Being in Melbourne, Australia it is not easy.

There is a big difference between "tuning" and "improving" these engines. From my experience a performance exhaust on an otherwise standard engine will make almost no difference, but the 36DIN Weber does make quite a difference on a standard road car. It is worth spending time on the ignition, tappets and all the basics of "tuning", and then the cars perform quite well.

When it comes to "improving" there are immediate rewards from a better camshaft and lightened flywheel. Slightly larger valves can be fitted and the rocker gear can be lightened. OSCA enlarged the inlet ports by making them oval, but the Formula Junior people these days are welding up the combustion chambers and repositioning the spark plugs so that much larger valves can be fitted. The Fiat 1100R had a single side draft Solex twin barrel carburettor. I have recently fitted one to a motor that has not run yet so I can't comment on what improvement it makes. Can you fit twin side draft Webers? I am not sure they will fit within the engine bay of a standard road car, and here in Australia the right hand drive steering column gets in the way. Twin down draft carburettors were used in the era but I wonder if they are any better than the 36DIN twin choke anyway.

If we were dealing with small Fords or BMC engines there would be all sorts of performance parts available. Unfortunately that is not the case with Fiat 1100s. The internet has made it much easier and I have managed to get a 12-port head, superchargers, etc. for Fiat 1100s, but there is very little by comparison. I actually own a Stanguellini Formula Junior and the performance is magic, but where you would get a manifold and carburettors is beyond me. Perhaps we should get together and have some made.

The standard motors put out somewhere between 45 and 55bhp and I suspect it is reasonably easy to get 65bhp. The Stanguellini FJ produced 85-90bhp and the FJ guys these days are getting 110-115bhp but reliable engines can easily cost $35,000. On a road car, the next problem will be the rear end ratios as they are starting to rev quite hard at 60mph.

I have recently driven a Morris Minor and Hillman from the same era as the Fiat 1100 and the Fiat is far superior. The other thing I noticed is how much better the brakes are on the Fiat 1100, how they handle compared to others.

Fiat 1100s are greatly under rated and the 1100TV is a good model. We are building a 1955 TV Pininfarina Coupe at the moment and I am looking forward to driving it. I wish you well with your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer.

I believe side drafts fit. I've seen some pictures of it.

In my case it would be down draft. I picked up a manifold from Italy sometime ago for the 1100E engine which is similar to the first series of the 1100/103 unfortunately the carburetor fittings are small so I don't believe I can fit anything larger than 32's, but then again, I don't know what's the mounting size of 34's.

The twin 32 carb was probably was a good solution for the engine until the 36din appeared in the 1100/103 TV a few years later. I guess I'll have to fit it and try both to see what the best solution, although I have the feeling that the twin carbs might be quicker at lower revs and slower at high revs.

I do have a spare camshaft that I intend to machine. Do you have any suggestions for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our 1100E motor makes 92hp on the engine [email protected] 6000 rpm.Built by Engine Machine Services in Westchester, CA. 310.641.7019. We're running an ancient Abarth manifold with 2 equally ancient single throat downdrafts- I believe they are 34s.
Custom pistons, billet crank, Honda rods etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am curious what single throat carburettors are fitted Alleggerita?

In response to the request for photos, these are the special components for a Fiat 1100 engine fitted to a Moretti Formula Junior we are building in Australia at the moment. Special connecting rods, pistons, lightened pushrods, cam followers, and lightened and polished rocker gear has all been prepared. A reground camshaft with maximum lift was made. An aluminium flywheel has been made.
The original Fiat head gasket was considered unlikely to be satisfactory and we are currently waiting on a new gasket to be made.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Be careful in replacing the flywheel.
Generally small sized engine have big flywheel because of their light rotating masses (crankshaft, pistons, rods) and small torque.
If you install a light flywheel the engine could become too nervous and unreliable for street use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice project, like mine.
I have recently started a fiat 1100 it 1949 without engine. I am currently trying to restore the car. As engine I have a simca 8 (identical to 1100e) or a fiat 1100/103 H. Does someone know if the engines are almost identical? I have two 32 weber dr3 carb and a Stanguellini manifold ....
Since I do not suffice the 50 HP I will also try to increase performance.
Looking forward also for pictures or more Details of components.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone know how to properly "lower" a Fiat 1100 sedan? I see them setup for racing dropped about 2-3", what springs are they running? I also see some with front away bar fitted. Are these available anywhere?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts