Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten new Vredestein Sprint tires for my 66 SS with original steel wheels. While the tires are "tubeless" Do I still need to put tubes in them for the original steel wheels? Don't want to do it if not necessary, but the old Pirellis had tubes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I put tires on my SS last year. Vredesteins. Three rims - no problem. Fourth rim had a small leak so I used a tube as it was structurally sound. No real difference in that corner of the car that I can tell.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The rims tell you what to do. The early rimns had insufficient space between the valve hole and the webb of the wheel to allow a tubeless valve to seat properly...in that case a tube is necessary.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The rims tell you what to do. The early rimns had insufficient space between the valve hole and the webb of the wheel to allow a tubeless valve to seat properly...in that case a tube is necessary.
I agree with a caveat.. it is difficult to find the proper stems that will work but I have found a solution if you only have access to the bulky kind. Take a razor blade and shave the base exposed inside the wheel by about 50%. This gives some flexibility to the base of the stem to alow for the conformity and it seats very nicely and around those acute curves. I did this as an experiment 15 years ago and the wheels do hold air without a tube and any leakage. Some of the bigger tire stores will have a variety of stems but it will take some scouring and frustration to find the right kind with a smaller sealing seat that works without modifying it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.