Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
google turns up nothing but bicycle stuff or cars with old wire wheels...

I have this set of extra rims "Turbina" or something like that I think. that came with my Spider. I had assumed they, and pretty much any car wheels that are not spokes or pre-WWII were tubeless....that is until I entered the realm of Alfa...

The issue is that three of the wheels have no valve stem...that would be the clue that they are tubeless for sure...so are they just missing stems or do they not accept stems because they are tube tire only? The hole for the stem is think enough that I can't see how a tubeless stem will fit. Or does this require the stems with a backing nut and seal and not the standard one-piece stems that pop in from behind and seal like a grommet does?

The forth wheel is the spare tire...so without dismounting the tire I have no clue.

The wheels on the car are the "Daytona" style. I think that's what you call the 5 point star looking ones. I have no clue on these either but I would hope they are all tubeless.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Tubeless type has a hump on each side near the horn or inner edge of the rim. Rim is usually marked with 2H which stands for 2 or double hump.

Yours looks like tube type ...

Tubeless tires will fit tube type without a tube ... there are differing opinions whether that is a good idea or not ...

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...can you even find tube tires? or do you just put tubes inside a standard tubeless tire and mount them?

To mount without a tube will require a special valve stem I imagine?

·
Administrator
12,516 Posts
Heck I would thought all wheels of this period were for tubeless tyres ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
21,668 Posts
Technically the wheels without the hump for the inner edge of the bead are for tube type. But yeah, in the real world, I've run tubeless on all these for 45 years without incident, including on the track. Doesn't make it safe or legal, but there it is.
You can still get tubes, can go in tube type or tubeless tires.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Tube type are very hard to find ... usually historic or vintage tires.

You can put tubes into a tubeless tire but the inside of tubeless tires is often rougher than tube type tires which creates friction between tube and tire that can result in punctures.

To mount a tubeless tire in a tube type rim you just use a regular tubeless valve stem ...

hmm...can you even find tube tires? or do you just put tubes inside a standard tubeless tire and mount them?

To mount without a tube will require a special valve stem I imagine?

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know specifics on valve stems for these wheels? I've done steel wheels at home with a Harbor Freight tire changer. But steelies are much thinner. the valve stems that I use are one piece that pull thru from the back side and have a narrow channel, like a firewall grommet has, that holes it in place and seals the rim on steel wheels.

The valve stem hole on these wheels looks to be almost 1/4 deep/thick. a conventional valve stem I don't see how it would be able to pull thru completely and seat properly.

I've googled some and there seems to be what is called a "clamp-in" or "bolt-in" valve stem. Is this what is needed for these Alfa wheels?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think these would work.
The opening would be about 11 - 12 mm
bout 11 - 12 mm.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's exactly what I found on ebay. I think that's want I need.

·
Registered
610 Posts
While searching on Ebay I came across these. Looked like just what I needed.
But when I put in my 1974 spider in the "compatibility" search it said that these will not fit my car.
Bummer.. ?

Too much free time n my hands..

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why wouldn't they fit? Never trust eBay's compatibility search...always verify independantly

·
Registered
610 Posts
I really need to spend more time constructing my jokes. Sorry.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the bolt in valve stem I got. Fits thru the back just fine...

the problem is the front of the hole is not in a flat spot...the washer and nut don't sit flat...I think I need a beveled or angles washer. I can fashion one from some tube stock I have.

Has anyone found a better valve stem for these wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Take a look at #8 above.
There should be two rubber washers per valve.
The one in your picture is missing one.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
#8 is a different style bolt in...the nut tightens from the inside.

The style I bought the nut tightens from the outside. And it came with 2 rubber washers. only one is used (on the inside of the rims) depending on the valve stem hole size I believe.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking closer at the one wheel I have that actually has a valve stem and tire mounted...but I can't see the inside....

It's definitely not an inner tube valve stem. It's fixed to the rim somehow. The base of the stem on the outside has a small diameter rubber seal so the curvature of the rim immediately adjacent and towards the outboard edge of the rim is not an issue. Just finding a matching set is challenging...numerous searched yields nothing that visibly matches what is already successfully mounted on that wheel.

the search continues... :(

·
Administrator
12,516 Posts
Turbinas can be purchased cheaply as not a hugely popular wheel, why not store the designed for tube ones and purchase a designed for tubeless set?

Pete

·
Administrator
12,516 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this set of extra rims "Turbina" or something like that I think. that came with my Spider.
mine are already FREE...they came as extras with the car...so I will work with these.

And, as noted...they are not exactly a "popular" design. I would not buy a set no matter how cheap. They look nice and all but they are very difficult to keep clean. A very poor design flaw. Much like my old 70s-80s Mercedes wheels. I think they were called "gas burners" as they kinda looked like a gas stove burner. Nice looking style but hideously difficult to keep clean. Thus I would never buy such a styled wheel.

but free is free...lol...except for 4 valve stems :/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts