Alfa Romeo Forums banner

TT car numbers

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Andrew 
#1 ·
I'm planning to run the Buttonwillow TT. Do car numbers have to be on the body proper, or can they be, for example, white on the back side windows of a GTV?
Thanks
Andrew Watry

#3 ·
Paul's suggestions are good ones. I used to be Director of Timing & Scoring so I've had to read numbers on passing cars and enter them into the computer. It really helps if the numbers are easy to read. Here are some things that help:

1. Make them about 10" tall.

2. Use a simple but bold font. Avoid using shoe polish and masking tape numbers if possible. Highly artistic numbers are also frequently hard to read.

3. Select a color that contrasts with the background. Put white numbers on red, blue or black backgrounds and black numbers on white, yellow, light gray, etc., backgrounds.

4. Place them on a body panel, preferably a door. They are a bit harder to read on a window because the background tends to appear as a pattern.

5. Avoid having lots of decals, tricky paint schemes, etc., near the numbers.

The people in the timing tower will do their best to read your number correctly, but keep in mind that they have to read it when the car is 100 to 200' away and traveling a speed. I think they do a pretty good job with the numbers and it's unusual for them to make a mistake. However, the easier your number is to read, the less likely it is that you'll lose lap time times. If you apply good judgment and common sense when you apply your numbers, you'll be in good shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.