Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I'm planning this anytime soon or at all. So mostly hypothetical at this point.

On the TS 75 engine, the exhaust distributor could be removed and replaced with a cam position sensor in order to drive coil packs, no? Is there a product that would mount there, or would that have to be a custom adaptation?

Obviously aftermarket ECU, of course.

I'm sure some have ditched the distributors for coil packs, but not sure where they took the cam signal.

And probably a strange question with the most likely comment to be "why would you do that?", but anyway - could the above be done for one set of plugs and the other set of plugs be left with one coil and the lower distributor?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had a compositioning sensor in that place , was a old distributor my mecanic adapted. We used it for the injection timing, not for the coil packs. Due to a lot of faults this caused in the ecu we decided to skip it. checked on dyno, no hp loss... so no need for it imho.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see a post about a hockey puck sized device installed on top of the distributor for the signal. I was hoping there was something smaller. Something that could take the place of the distributor entirely and fit in the hole.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see that one too. It's very interesting. Not too bad looking. Do you have an info on what device you are using? Any other pictures? Product info?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Search for "Ford USA explorer camshaft position sensor" and you'll find a version that's distributor-like. Probably a Ford factory update on old engines.

I was looking for it and thought this would be a very neat solution (with some adaptions to "our" distributor base, the lower one).

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a bunch of them on Amazon. Price is generally <$30
Are you talking about just replacement sensors? Those are generally cheap. But there is no place to mount them on our engines. We need something on which to mount it. That is what I am trying to explore.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please post your progress. Either here or a new thread. Are you going to attempt on a TS or a Nord?

I can't seem to picture how the sensor will know the camshaft position as these are just the sensors. Will there be a magnetic object that you have to mount on the distributor shaft?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts