Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of installing a twin spark in my Bertone, and I've noticed that the engine harness only has one thin power lead to one of the distributors. I would have thought it needed a power lead to both dizzies - the other dizzy has the wire and connector for it. Do I need to create a piggyback connection here, or is power getting to the 2nd dizzy some other way?

Thanks

Adrian

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of installing a twin spark in my Bertone, and I've noticed that the engine harness only has one thin power lead to one of the distributors. I would have thought it needed a power lead to both dizzies - the other dizzy has the wire and connector for it. Do I need to create a piggyback connection here, or is power getting to the 2nd dizzy some other way?

Thanks

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

Just to clarify, do you mean the distributors or the coils? My understanding is that the Twin Spark distributors are both "dumb" and that the power to the distributors comes via the high tension lead from the coils, and then from the distributors via the high tension leads to the spark plugs.

If you are referring to a thin wire that goes to just one of the Twin Spark coils, and if that wire is brown/white coloured, then that is the wire which sends a signal from the coil to operate the original Alfa 75 electronic tachometer.

Regards,

Nick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick, that's really helpful, thank you.

I think I must have had a minor stroke when I wrote the question, because I obviously meant coils where I've written dizzies!

So it's for the tach, rather than a power lead - I think I must have been confused by the diagrams in the manual, which show two separate power leads to each coil.

Cheers

Adrian

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Adrian,

No problem... power to the coils come from one of the four Motronic relays, via the EFI harness connector to each coil.

Cheers,

Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts