Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Is anybody able to confirm if the Lodge 2HLD's can be used in a standard Twin Spark?
I believe the manual says the 25HLD's are standard plug.

Tried Googling, but didn't find much about the Lodges :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
G'Day Glenn (please put Cheers, Glenn in your sig),

NGK BCP6ES or BKR6EK or similar.

Go to your local Supercheap or Autobarn and look it up in the NGK book, they keep changing their mind.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'Day Glenn (please put Cheers, Glenn in your sig),

NGK BCP6ES or BKR6EK or similar.

Go to your local Supercheap or Autobarn and look it up in the NGK book, they keep changing their mind.
G'day again Craig!

As suggested, and after perusing the Yahoo 75 group, decided to go the NGK. BKR6E to be precise (NGK Aussie website says BKR6E was the one). Apparently the BCP's extend an extra 2.5mm into the cylinder. Could this have a slightly negative burn/cumbustion effect?

Mechanic wanted $16 each for the Lodge 2HLD's. Bugger that. $4.30 from my local Auto One was a much better option :D

Cheers,

Glenno

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G'Day Glenn,

The normal problem with protruding plugs is getting hit by valves. This is NOT a problem on the TS due to the position of the plugs.
So yours have the twin electrodes? How do you find them?
Were they more expensive?

·
Registered
513 Posts
So yours have the twin electrodes? How do you find them?
Were they more expensive?
The NGK's I stuck in mine a month or so ago have 3 earth electrodes. They seem to work (much better than the Lodges that were in it - but they were utterly stuffed so that isn't much of a shock). The NGKs weren't spectacularly expensive but the local Repco did have to order them in.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Apparently the BCP's extend an extra 2.5mm into the cylinder. Could this have a slightly negative burn/cumbustion effect?

Moving the tip into the chamber has the same effect as giving it more ignition advance.

·
Registered
513 Posts
BKR6E to be precise (NGK Aussie website says BKR6E was the one). Apparently the BCP's extend an extra 2.5mm into the cylinder. Could this have a slightly negative burn/cumbustion effect?
I thought some of these part numbers looked "wrong" and checked - when I bought my plugs I originally grabbed some BKR6E's from Supercheap because I was desperate and thought they would do. But they had soldered on terminal nuts (or whatever the term is) - not screw on, so I couldn't use them (afaik the std leads on a TS don't fit over the nut but over the stud it screws onto - at least that is the case with mine!).

I looked up an online guide and got BCP6ET as the right part - which certainly fits and is a triple earth-electrode plug. They don't extend any further than the BKR6E's - might be a bit shorter in fact.

Going back to NGK's web site, there seems to now be much less info there (or it is better hidden) and there doesn't seem to be detailed info on the plugs/part codes? When I look up the 75TS it tells me BKR6E's are the right part:confused:. Maybe they have changed away from the soldered on terminals - if so watch out for old stock - or maybe my leads are weird???

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought some of these part numbers looked "wrong" and checked - when I bought my plugs I originally grabbed some BKR6E's from Supercheap because I was desperate and thought they would do. But they had soldered on terminal nuts (or whatever the term is) - not screw on, so I couldn't use them (afaik the std leads on a TS don't fit over the nut but over the stud it screws onto - at least that is the case with mine!).

I looked up an online guide and got BCP6ET as the right part - which certainly fits and is a triple earth-electrode plug. They don't extend any further than the BKR6E's - might be a bit shorter in fact.

Going back to NGK's web site, there seems to now be much less info there (or it is better hidden) and there doesn't seem to be detailed info on the plugs/part codes? When I look up the 75TS it tells me BKR6E's are the right part:confused:. Maybe they have changed away from the soldered on terminals - if so watch out for old stock - or maybe my leads are weird???
I just noticed the UK NGK part finder recommends the BCP6ET.
Aussie site recommends the BKR6E.

Something to do with climate/fuel grades perhaps :confused:

·
Registered
513 Posts
G'Day Glenn,

I don't think they have any BCP6ET's in the country :rolleyes:

The TS just isn't fussy about plugs.
Well it is pretty simple - there were more than 8 BCP6ETs in the country a month ago, and they fit. If you get the same "spec" of BKR6Es that I bought from Supercheap a month ago they don't :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
The NGK v Golden Lodge debate has been going on for donkey's years with no resolution as both sides claim they were recommended by Alfa, original fitment, blah blah blah.

Anecdoctal evidence (particluarly with carburettor engines) is that once you have flooded an Alfa engine with Lodges fitted, they are often permanently bu**ered and have to be replaced.

I have always used NGKs and all the Alfa professionals I know also only use (maybe I only "select" NGK Alfa people - who knows)
Stephen

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
My Alfa mechanic uses only Lodge 2HL (as specified by my owners manual)and AGIP oil in my GTV. He is Italian :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The NGK v Golden Lodge debate has been going on for donkey's years with no resolution as both sides claim they were recommended by Alfa, original fitment, blah blah blah.

Anecdoctal evidence (particluarly with carburettor engines) is that once you have flooded an Alfa engine with Lodges fitted, they are often permanently bu**ered and have to be replaced.

I have always used NGKs and all the Alfa professionals I know also only use (maybe I only "select" NGK Alfa people - who knows)
Stephen
This thread has morphed into a 'whats the correct NGK for a TS' :D

Craig says the TS isnt fussy, but can anybody categorically say which NGK is ideal for the TS? Maybe it doesn't really matter as long as the heat range is 6 and the threads are the correct size.

I looked up the 164 TS at the NGK aussie site. It says the plug should be BKR7E??? Now we are getting into different heat range territory.

NGK UK site says plugs for both 164 and 75 TS should be the BCP6ET.

Just to confuse us even more, is the R type (resistor type plug ie:BKR) less ideal than a BCP?

This is doing my head in, going to bed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts