Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a real mashup, but I can't decide on which oil pump to use - 155 TS or standard 105 oil pump.

I have the block from a 155 TS engine to get the piston cooling, and I will use electrical water pump. So that's not an issue.

What might be an issue is the ugly placement of the standard waterpump on a 155 TS and maybe the oil filter placement. Anyone had a try?

The alternative is a breast plate from the 75 TS along with the drive and chain, to fit standard 105-oil pump.

Anyone..? I could send pictures

·
Registered
17 Posts
I´m facing the same issue with my 155 conversion. Could it be possible to modify the 155 oilpump pickup to suit the 105 oilpan?
I was planning to you the 105 front cover of the engine, to fit the 105 oilpump + waterpump. I think that this is the easy way for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pickup from the 155 is the most easy design, very easy to modify or weld a new.
Modding the 105 breastplate to fit the 155 is a much more difficult option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just trial bolted on the 105 frontcover on the 155TS. It seems to fit ok. I havent gone fully though it yet, what could become a problem?

Edit: I have to check is my frontcover infact from a 75...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
the 75TS frontcover is a straight bolt on on a 155 block. We had no issues there. And with a good quality 105 pump no issues considering oil pressure(105 sump is not a bolt on).

·
Registered
17 Posts
went to the garage and checked, the rear end of the 105 sump does not fit. The bolt pattern is wrong and its a bit too shallow.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
the 155 block is shorter. best is to use the last few cm of the 155 pan , shorten the 105 sump and weld. and you need a 7mm spacer plate for fitting the gearbox.
If you use the 155 crank too: this is 1mm shorrter at the flywheelside, so you need a 1 mm spacer there, or put a one mm spacer between starter and bellhouse, since the flywheel will have a 1 mm different position.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the tips Veep. I havent found any threads anyone doing 155 to 105 conversion. Has it been done?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has been done. Several times. I know of three who drives this setup, me included.

Regarding the "too shallow 105-oil sump", it's easier to adress the "too long crank bolts" and grind them down ~5mm.

/M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok. I dont think my frontcover is from 75ts. I think its a 105. With quick mockup it seems to fit. The only thing i have to modify is the too long middle chain gear which is 5mm longer on the block side in 105 compared to 155

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks for the tips Veep. I havent found any threads anyone doing 155 to 105 conversion. Has it been done?
I have one in my racing car. Sven Heimbach Germany also made a few I think (got the Idea from him to be honest).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I seem to have the same thoughts than Jema has.

By running the 155 front plate would be beneficial as:
- The chain gear would come from 155
- The HAL sensor bracket would be there
- The crank pulley could be used from 155
- Waterpump from 155 as well
- It could be possible to even hack a 105 middle chain drive axle to fit 155 cover to use for manual rpm drive
- Using the modern belt would maybe give few extra horses ( better efficiency as v-belt)
Problems when using 155 frontplate:
- Oil filter housing ( i dont have that, and have no idea how it looks)
- Modifying the oil pump pick up
- Generator mounting to right side of the engine would probably be needed. Maybe custom pulley fo generator

For using 105 front plate:
- Ease of using Stock 105 water pump, oil filter, RPM drive
- Crank pulley needs to be fitted with trigger wheel
- Hal sensor mounting bracket has to welded on the front plate.
- Middle chain drive has to be modified as block side end is 5mm too long
- Maybe some other issues with chain drive?

Does someone have the camsaft oilpump pinion drive from 155 and the oil pickup pipe as extra. Im missing those?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have oil pump drive gear and pick up somewhere, let you know when I can find them..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
About the oil filter; might be possible replace original housing with take off plate and use remote filter..?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have found many this period Alfa parts from old local dealers. Also OKP has many parts which are not listed on their site. Worth of asking.

What is wrong with your oil pump?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Being modern design they flow much more, especially at low revs, in comparison with conventional 105 or 116 series oil pump. I had second series TS(155) engine which had main bearing spun, caused by loose bearing cap nut. It still kept very close to normal oil pressure, even hot at idle (club racer with stock engine). I think it need to flow quite much through pressure valve and may cause spring loose. Visually those that I have opened are looked very good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
155/164 front cover, how it looks like

In the picture:
The oil pump gears.
Front cover with oil pump assembly.
Bracket for the oil filter.
Oil pick-up.

If you want more pictures of any details, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
don`t make it more diffecult than is needed. Modern new oil pumps are sufficient. Spruell sells these for nice money ,$220,- at the time. Put in his upgrade kit too and you have all the pressure and flow you will need.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts