Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - per this forum, it was suggested that I contact Fred Russell to get some ideas how to get a 72 Spider off Shaw Island and onto mainland, so that a transporter could reasonably pick up the car.
I live in the Louisville, KY, area.

The problem with Shaw Island is that the guy with my Alfa has to bring the car to mainland to meet a transporter, because they can't take the rig across on the ferry to Shaw Island. But, to move the car BY FERRY in order to meet a trucker, in a timely manner, is like moving a mountain.
There are only a few ferry trips per day from Shaw, AND, it sometimes is necessary to reserve a car-space on the ferry the day before to get a ride.

As you might know, when a transporter shows up in the area for a car pick up, they want to grab the load and move on to the next pickup and get on the road for deliveries. They will not sit and wait for hours (or even overnight) for a car to arrive for pickup.
To compound this, these truckers are NEVER reliably on time (in my experience of more than 12 transports, they can even be off by a day, and they have never been on the hour that they "promise" to be there).
This even occurs when you have the trucker driver's phone number. "I'm one hour out from your location" has ended up being over 8hours' wait on one occasion.

So, while they won't sit and wait for a car to arrive, they also are not reliable enough to tell you exactly when they themselves will arrive.
So, the guy with my Alfa on Shaw Island might move the car to mainland, but end up waiting hours, if not a whole day, for the trucker to actually arrive.

The Alfa forum suggested that someone known to the NWARC might be on mainland in the area of Anacortes or even Burlington, and can hold the car until a transporter shows up. This might be as little as 1-2 days, but may be up to 5 days or so.
I have gotten all sorts of responses from brokers saying that that neck of the woods is not a very heavily travelled trucking route. It's hard to know what to believe, as these guys use optimism to get business, and then pessimism to explain why a carrier hasn't shown up yet.

Well, I think I have described the problem in excessive-enough detail.
Bottom line is, do you have any suggestions or POC's who might be able to hold my car until I can get a trucker to come pick the car up?
BTW, the car is fully driveable.

I might as well stick this in also: Anyone with a trailer happen to be going eastwardly, to at least get the car more into a mainstream trucking route, if not all the way to KY?

Thanks.
Steve Yevich CP 410-349-7576

·
Registered
1968 Giulia Super - Bollino D'Oro
45 Posts
Hey Steve,
I just saw this post and I know its 3 months old. I am part of the northwest alfa romeo club. I also have a car storage warehouse in Bellingham WA which is relatively close to the Anacortes Ferry terminal. I can store the Alfa in my garage and help get it loaded on a trailer. I have a few alfas myself. PM me if you still need some help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
Hah. Thanks for the reply and the offer. Others in the NWAROC contacted me (Mark, Fred, and quite a few others) and drove the several hours from Seattle to Anacortes to pick up the car from its Shaw Island base. Mark then stored it in his Seattle garage until a shipper could be arranged.
It arrived here in KY fine.
I really appreciated the voluntary efforts exerted by the Club members - incredible to see this type of altruistic motivation, at least in my sphere of contacts. Almost makes one start to re-believe in humanity, huh.

One thing, it made me aware of the considerable "island living" in that area -- and many of the stories associated with that life style.
Totally different mentality.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Stasha,

Have you found the local AROC chapter; KARS? (Kentucky Alfa Romeo Society). A good bunch of people. [email protected]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George,
Yep. COVID of course has changed everything, but last contact with "Al" the Pres was that they were planning a get together maybe in late JAN or FEB.
Haven't heard since, but usually Dave Brown usually contacts me. It struck me that Al was not very computer adept or email aware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts