Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '79 Alfetta, the tube that holds the dipstick is loose. It spins easily and has a tiny bit of up and down play. I think I am leaking oil there, and I'm wondering (1) how this tube is attached and (2) how to secure it? I thought maybe it was threaded, but there is a tiny hose connection on it that prevents my spinning it all the way round. Does anyone know how to secure this, or how to remove it and improve the seal? Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,613 Posts
If it's like the dipstick tube in my GTV (has an alfetta engine) then it's a press-fit into the pan.

I pulled it out, cleaned both surfaces well, and then glued it in place with Ultra Gray RTV. No more leaks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gubi! So pull it out as in just pull it straight up and out? That kind of makes sense, as I so no other way it could be attached other than pressed in.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,613 Posts
I had to kind of twist and wiggle it but it eventually came straight out, yes. It's supposed to be press fit but mine had apparently loosened.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the tips here. Finally got round to working on this again today, and sure enough it popped right out with a tug. Looks just like the one in the thread you linked, except mine has the hose attachment for the oil return, or whatever that small hose is. Now I just need the JB or RTV...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts