Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1600 disassembly is going pretty well...except for the seized pistons. I am however having success with penetrant and tapping them out. That said should I just try to salvage the rods and put new liner/piston sets on the budget?

So far I am generally pleased with the visual appearance of all things considering. No spun bearings, worn, but typical. Liners would have to machined over, but new matched sets would be better I would think.

Thoughts?

Cheers, S

·
Administrator
14,292 Posts
They are considered consumables, and so are the pistons.

I'd just hammer yours out, unless funds are tight
Pete

Reactions: 383494

·
Registered
84 Posts
Concur... If they don't pass dimension checks after honing just replace. If you have to machine for overbore and would new pistons anyway, might as well replace as a set. Common sizes are readily available.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Never throw any Alfa part away! As Osso says....someone will be asking for them someday. I recall a racer looking for old 2 liter liners a few years back. He was boring the liners out to fit custom oversized pistons and preferred the old liners because they were heat/age stabilised....not sure if the same would apply to the 1600 ones or not....but it might one day.

·
Super Moderator
12,238 Posts
Old 1600's have value. They do heat stabilize, and honed for oversize are superior to new ones made recently, or any bored oversize. I and others, prefer old 1600 liners for performance builds. Paul Spruell buys them.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If you can save them, I have NOS 1600 pistons only. No liners or rings but with piston pins. Blue dot on top with the Alfa stamp still viewable. I can sell them for $200 plus shipping.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can save them, I have NOS 1600 pistons only. No liners or rings but with piston pins. Blue dot on top with the Alfa stamp still viewable. I can sell them for $200 plus shipping.
Thanks, they look pretty good considering. I am taking my time tapping them out, and adding more penetrant, trying not to damage anything. Once I know I will contact you classicalfas.

Cheers, S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts